mercredi 30 janvier 2019

MADE HOMELESS BY TRAVEL: WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING

I  am grateful whoever the person was, for introducing me to Moritz Thomsen, a beautiful soul, a peace corps volunteer in the 1960s, trying hard to make the life of the poor in the black coast of Ecuador and failing repeatedly and finally writing a beautiful travel book at the age of 75
In his admiring introduction, Paul Theroux writes that "a travel book may be many things, and The Saddest Pleasure seems to be most of them -- not just a report of a journey, but a memoir, an autobiography, a confession, a foray into South American topography and history, a travel narrative, with observations of books, music, and life in general, in short, what the best travel books are, a summing up." 

I remember reading the book while I was visiting Ecuador, up the coast from Guayaquil not far from the scene described in the book. ( I even remember the taste of ceviche and beer by the beach at an ungodly hour, me being not a beer drinker).
I was thinking of Thomsen today
as the snow was falling in Bruselas, Belgica.
Thomsen was born in 1915 into a wealthy American family in Seattle. His namesake was after his grandfather a powerful Washington businessman. Charlie, his father was President of Centennial Mills (Krusteaz Brand) and a multi-millionaire at the turn of the 20th century.[1][2] As detailed in his memoirs, his relationship with his father was extremely strained, with Thomsen describing the man as "tyrannical."
During World War II, Thomsen served as a B-17 Flying Fortress bombardier in the Eighth Air Force. At age 44 he was working as a farmer in California when he decided to join the Peace Corps. In 1964, at 48 years old, Thomsen came to Ecuador as one of the first volunteers of the Peace Corps . Upon arrival, and after many wanderings, he was assigned on condition of agricultural expert to the small fishing town of Green River, north of the province of Esmeraldas . Thomsen lived for four years in that village, and a total of 35 years in Ecuador. After serving as a volunteer for four years, he remained in Ecuador. He died in 1991 of cholera (from Wiki)

I have led a wandering life, not one without a purpose but combined well my love of travel and cultures, as an Anthropologist with the expertise in metabolic diseases as an Endocrinologist. 
I am on my second trip around the world for 2019, the first one was to the Far East and this would cover South America, as well.
Recently I was asked a most difficult question. What do you do for a living or in australian slang it would be. what do you for a crust?
I try to give as simple answer as possible, just mentioning Cuba, American Indians. But more questions follow and of course I am happy to answer.
There is also the usual question towards the end?
What is that you find most difficult in your lifestyle?
The answer was very easily formulated..
It is not the long trips  Miami to London 8 hours, Paris to Cochin via Tel Aviv and Addis Ababa, many many hours, Narita to Boston 12 1/2 hours..
It is not the long trips. I have learned all the tricks of the trade to make my journey as comfortable as possible. Lounges at airports certainly make it easier, sometimes I may divert my flight through Doha just to enjoy for a few hours the wonderful Al Mourjan Lounge..
(Qatar Airways)

Destinations/
I am at home at most of the destinations that I usually visit (various projects)  Miami Havana London Paris Brussels Haifa Cochin Kuala Lumpur Siem Reap.. and occasionally visit other places Leticia Sao Paolo ..
(Kuala Lumpur, always full of unexpected pleasures)


So the destinations do not bore and I do look forward to specific hotels which have become favourites  Double Tree by Hilton in Kuala Lumpur, Beyond Yangon Boutique Inn in Siem Reap or Amazon BnB in Leticia.. also Marriott Marquis in Doha
(welcome at Marriott Marquis in Doha)
so what is that I dislike most about my lifestyle?
It is the people who refuse to accept my lifestyle as an acceptable alternative!
Why do you waste your time?
Don't they have doctors in Colombia?
You have no money!
I remember well dr Pincus the cardiologist when I was a junior doctor in Melbourne. He said to me, a lot of people are going to criticize you because you stick out like a sore thumb. You would demonstrate to other people what they could be doing with their lives.. 
I am not on an evangelical mission, but I realize that I am very good friends with people who easily accept my lifestyle and enjoy the stories that come with (thank you Dr MW/G!).I know them in various parts of the world ..

Perhaps my friends around the world accept me as I accept their lifestyles and that certainly takes  the conflicts of relationships...  I am never critical of other people's lifestyles but I do respect people who make some effort to make the lives of other people a little better..


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...