mercredi 9 septembre 2020

DOUBLE TREE BY HILTON MEMORIES AND REMINISCENCES AND HOPES FOR A QUICK RETURN

Over the course of years, I have been a loyal visitor to Double Tree Hotel in Kuala Lumpur and had become friends with many of the workers: concierge desk, Front Desk and also the Executive Lounge.

When people are visiting KL, I always recommend Double Tree KL and I have enjoyed some memorable moments there.

I was thinking of my friends, I can see their faces, their first names in their lapels. I decided to drop a line to one of them, using their Hilton.com email. It returned saying I should get in touch with the Duty Manager. I was particularly thinking of Safa the Head Concierge and also Shalinda the Executive Lounge Manager.

I sent the hotel an email.

My UmonHon friends and colleagues at DT KL 
My friend Dat from the Island of Borneo with Koo Chian Chee from Penang 
A humble DOSAI for you at the Breakfast time, there are five kitchens in the Breakfast area .. Chinese Malay European Indian Other Asian
One of the rooms 
and the view 
breakfast with freshly prepared Teh Tahrek .. and reading Jiddu Krishnamurty
the always friendly Maria 

The Executive Lounge Happy Hour. Visitors from the USA 

 

From:  < >
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2020 9:43 PM
To: KULDT Duty Manager <KULDT_DutyManager@hilton.com>
Subject: Greetings from a frequent visitor to DTKL

 

Dear Friend:

My name is Dr Yehuda , Hilton Gold and a frequent visitor to DTKL. Over the years I have made many friends at Concierge, Front Desk and also at the Executive Lounge and appreciated all the privileges shown to me. 

I am concerned about my friends, when I write to them on their hilton.com emails, they are returned to me saying to contact you.

I hope this pandemic is soon over so that we, your loyal friends can enjoy your hospitality once again

My best to the Head Concierge, Exec Lounge Director and many of the other friends. I wish them all well 

 

Dr Yehuda   Hilton Gold. 

DR. YEHUDA KOVESH

M.D.,M.S.,M.Sc.,FRAI(London)

Consultant Endocrinologist and Medical Anthropologist to 

UmonHon tribe in Nebraska and Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Diabetes Prevention Programme

Visiting Professor of Medical Anthropology, 

University of Havana, Cuba

International Humanitarian Medicine.

International Ambassador, National Institute of Endocrinology, Havana, Cuba

International Advisor, Cheng Ho Society International, Singapore 

Blog: www.medicoanthropologist.blogspot.com 

 

LA HABANA, CUBA AND MIAMI, FLORIDA

 

Within hours I received a reply

 

Shalinda Sourajen <Shalinda.Sourajen@hilton.com>

15:30 (4 minutes ago)

to me

Hi Mr.Y!

 

 

Omg how are you doing? I am currently back but as a Duty Manager as the lounge still isn't open. My team I'm afraid are on unpaid leave and so is the Chief concierge Safa. Hopefully all will return to work soon. Hoping and praying for the best. Some newer staff didn't make it. They had to be retrenched as the business isn't as good. Its sad yes. Anyway It's so good to hear from you though. How's things back home? Where are you now btw?

 

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts. Its amazing.

 

Love,

 

Shalinda

 

 

P/S : Will inform Safa that you asked of him. We just spoke today.

 

So many names come to mind. Sheefa, Dat, Hafiz, Maria,Zhi Qi, Ash, Rash who spoke French so did Sheefa who is half French, Shahril, the dutch manager, chefs galore in the multiple restaurants. I wish them all well. May the spirits and the winds bring us all together 

 

The motivation for travel, whether a push from your current situation or a pull from a destination, takes various shapes: sight-seeing, I don’t know what it is but many want “off the beaten path”, structures, nature, another thing I don’t understand “blending in like a native” but whatever reason, I like tourists and some of them would turn later in life to be travellers.

There is no doubt why I travel: I travel for the people of the location. The location may be attractive on your first trip but what brings you back are the people: Cochin in Kerala; Siem Reap in Cambodia; Leticia in Colombia to name a few… In some places a particular hotel becomes close to your heart, it is Double Tree by Hilton at KL for me, I also fondly remember Bristows Bungalow in Fort Cochin and Marriott Marquis in Doha, Beyond Yangon in Siem Reap.

I am glad to hear from a friend, Shalinda,  in KL and don’t worry friends, as soon as I get the vaccine, please reserve a room on  the Executive floor and the sumptuous breakfast at Makan Kitchen on the 11th floor.

Two newer members both of whom had airline experiences, SQ and QR
I look at this British era clocktower and let out a sigh and think of a dear friend from Karaj.
Safa who is a dear friend.

Shahril at the Executive Lounge 
The manager of Executive Lounge, just before she went on maternity leave
Hafiz and Sheefa qui parle francais
Offerings during the Happy Hour at the Execurtive Lounge at Double Tree by Hilton Hotel 


Zhi Qi


View from the Executive Lounge at Double Tree Hilton Hotel. 
On one of my visits, which lasted four days, after hectic trips to other spots in Asia, I never once left the hotel. I was so happy just being in the hotel, did a radio interview explaining about Israel and Jews and Judaism, ate breakfast, read and wrote and then enjoyed wine at Happy Hour with the good morsels of food .
Thank you my dear friends, I wish you all of you well. Hope most of you would be back at Double Tree by Hilton in Kuala Lumpur to offer your excellent friendly service to the weary travellers from other parts of the world.

In Portuguese there is a wonderful word 
saudade
it is a sensation of a loss of something even before you had it 
I am so happy that DTKL came into my life and that along with it came such wonderful people. 
Muito Obrigado Muchas Gracias Merci Beaucoup 


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...