samedi 21 septembre 2019

THE FEASTS OF HAVANA CUBA : A GLIMPSE OF LIVES HAPPILY LIVED

After I had delivered a talk at the annual conference of Endocrinology in 2019, an Argentine doctor said she needed an explanation: This is my first visit to Cuba, she said, but I cannot understand how the Cubans are so happy and of wonderful disposition when by our standards they should be miserable.
I gave a long and detailed explanation of Cuban Happiness. Solidarity, Friendship and strong relationships and sharing.
Here is a glimpse of that during my stay in September in my island. 


 A grandmother with her two spanish granddaughters stopped by. It was the day of Virgin del Cobre, the patron saint of Cuba. So i made them light the candles.
 My sister had prepared an elaborate lunch of: eggplants with sardines, jasmine rice from thailand, avacado and other vegetables, soup of red beans.. I was so full and my stomach swelled so much that i did not eat much for the next couple of days 
 This is my best friend from Baracoa, the Little Poet of the First City of Cuba. He was in Havana for some official business regarding his travel to Spain. We met in front of Cine Yara and had a nice reunion, I had not seen him in one year and we walked back to my apartment. It was nice to reminisce while feeding him my sister's delicious potaje and I opened a bottle of Malbec.
 I try to catch sunrise and sunset when I am in Havana as the seawall is only one block from my home. Nice to look at the reflection of the rising or fading sun on the buildings along the Malecon.

 A nice art deco building: La Casa de la Americas.. a literary foundation
 Havana is a visual delight. Walking to the park just one block away, I can see this bored couple waiting for something or other in a motorcar of yesterday's glory. Old women are getting ready for their morning exercises.
 Friends and colleagues drop by for dinner, the menu is usually Lobster and if they are allergic to seafood, Chicken or Lamb. My sister decides on the menu, prepares the food and goes home before the guests arrive.
 She offered me this but I just took the cigars to give away as presents on my trips around the world.

 Both my sisters, in Miami and in La Habana love to cook, so I eat reasonably well on either side of the Gulf.
 Ready for guests. The african outfit was bought in Benin on my only trip to that country many years ago. Israeli flags which decorate my home are gifts of my younger brother in Israel.
 After preparing the meal and I help her set up the table and my sister goes home. I wait for my colleagues to arrive and update myself on the situation with Health Care in my Specialty in Cuba. Both professors are associated with the National Institute of Endocrinology and the younger women, also a Cuban, is a professor of Special Education (Autism) in Malaga, Spain


 The main in the photo is a well known Cuban painter.

 Two days later, I wanted to invite 20 people for dinner to celebrate one of my friends receiving Spanish citizenship. 


 Cake to celebrate arriving balanced gently
The man who is my massage therapist as well as the woman who had come with him helped in the kitchen, toiling for hours to get ready the elaborate dinner  
 Lobster is a luxury that I enjoy in Cuba 
 The menu was varied but mainly Cuban including pasta with olives (from Israel), small buns with Tuna(from France), thai jazmine rice, crepes from Brittany, local cheese, excellent cuban icecream with Nutella available for those who desire it! plus wine from Spain, Argentina and Chile plus Ameretto liquor for adults to add to their icecreams.. a very nice meal thanks to my sister.. But the company and the jovial and pleasantness companionship was what mattered. 

 A poet who had won national honours
 People of all ages integrate themselves to the Fiesta 
  a  FP doctor from Baracoa, who had been on medical missions in both Venezuela and Brasil
 Father and Son, both doctors. In Cuba at a gathering like this, you would meet very highly educated group of people. One thing Cuba can be justly proud of . My massage therapist had to go to university for five years to be licensed in Culture of Physical Education!

 A gentleman who has written many books on the Syncretic belief system of Cuba was present and generous with his knowledge of Cuban life. He graduated with a PhD in Social and Cultural Anthropology from the University of St Petersburg in Russia.
 Every one was digging into the food.. delicious as always and plenty and varied.

 Cakes galore..
 Cuba produces probably the best ice cream in the world, pure cream and no chemical additives so the taste is delicious and of course, the children love it.. with or without Nutella

 Necessity is the mother of Invention. Nowhere it is true like in Cuba. This contraption is a electrical bicycle with a range of 50 km, good to run around town and of course less pollution and very handy when there are petrol shortage..

 I had other visitors who stayed over, sharing food and drinks.
 I was so engrossed in the book by Haruki Murakami, Killing Commendatore, so much so that I was snatching time in between all these social activities to read a little bit. Exciting and up my alley of magical realism.
 Candles and good representation of CHE 
 Always nice to catch a glimpse of the morning sun..
 Early morning visitors

 I made my good friend from Baracoa, who is a revolutionary, light candles to "saint" Che..
 Time to leave and carry on the messages of CUBA to other parts of the world 


 As usual my driver was very punctual and I sighed looking at the sights of la Habana.. I am leaving for Portugal and India.. but I would be back soon, I am sure..
 Saying good bye to Cuba and before long, Miami is underneath.. the contrast in the lives and characters of people on either end of the Gulf is a large gulf indeed..


 I had known that my close friends from Miami were arriving that afternoon in Miami from Paris and I stood in a strategic position after clearing Immigration to welcome them to Miamia..I said that in Spanish of course..
 Miami Airport
 Life is full of little surprises but one has to be aware of them..

My flight had arrived within minutes of the Paris flight and it was a pleasant moment to greet my friends at the Immigration. Lovely reunion.

Air France to Paris and connect to Lisboa; two days later Qatar Airways to Cochin via Doha..
Unexpected Pleasures as always ...

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...