vendredi 20 septembre 2019

HOW DIFFICULT IT IS TO ACCESS AND CONSUME ORGANIC FOOD IN MIAMI

The answer is quick: Not that easy
Where I stay in Miami, in the Kendall area, there are a variety of supermarkets within easy reach, say within 10 km.
There is Navarro, El Presidente and Fresco mainly catering for the Latin clientele; then Publix an established supermarket as well as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, the last of which my friends in Portland call, Whole PayCheck because of its prices.
Unfortunately the food sold at the Latin Supermarkets are of poor quality but cheaper. I suppose one could find some vegetables or canned goods or something like that, but in general they do not carry Organic items. It is a commentary on the financial status of their clientele. Recently I went to Fresco and was disappointed to find that the only ITEM they had organic was a tub of Icecream! Looking at the ingredients of their frozen food, it was horrifying to see the chemical overload. I would still go there before I return to Cuba, as I can get Frijoles Negros at a reasonable price but that alone is not a reason to go there.




The second tier is PUBLIX and ALDI a german origin supermarket which is aggressively expanding in the USA. 
Both Aldi and Publix have organic items but they do not have dedicated areas for their organic foods. One thing I noticed was that the non-organic items sold by these supermarkets are of a good quality and if you want to eat better, one could carefully choose some items.



 went to ALDI yesterday and bought organic items necessary for my stay for the next four days. I did not particularly think that they were expensive, comparable to the prices of non organic food, at best 30 per cent more expensive.

Thanks to the Nutrition Consultants at the place where I work, I was able to do this experiment of eating nothing but Organic for four days.
I was spurred to do this by a scientific study that showed that just four days of Organic food bettered the attention in ADHD attention deficit children.
Secondly, we had begun a family under our care on Organic food as much as possible, and within six weeks there were improvements in Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure and Cholesterol and complete disappearance of Liver Fat deposits..
That goes with the hypothesis I have about Inflammation in the body that comes through FOOD which has been adulterated with chemicals.
It is not JUST carbohydrates or Proteins or Fat that harm you (anything in excess would harm you by the way), nor any of these vitamins and diet supplements would decrease this inflammation, but it is the QUALITY of the food .. meaning no chemicals, Food that is Food 
When I buy food in Cuba, I know where it came from, most vegetables are direct from the farmers, Carnero was butchered that morning and arrive at the shop within hours, no chemical additives as long sa you dont buy Highly Processed food manufactured in Argentina or Brasil . Eat Cuban when you are in Cuba..
How easy was to access organic food, it was not easy. because i wanted to be as close to 100 per cent organic just for these four days.. including Coffee and Tea.. I was able to get Organic tea but not coffee.. Milk yes, sugar yes but not coffee..when I made the organic meat into a pattie and ate with organic brown rice, i did not have the condiments which were organic..I corrected the situation today..
So what happened to this Physician-Anthropologist who ate nothing but Organic food for four days in USA?
To see the results I recommend, you read the next blog ..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...