vendredi 20 septembre 2019

HAVANA IS TRULY AN UNENDING FEAST: A DELIGHTFUL WEEK IN SAN CRISTOBAL DE LA HABANA


I had been looking forward to my return to the island, with a brief sojourn in Miami where I enjoyed spending a couple of days in the Everglades National Park.

 The sun was rising as the Uber car share approached the airport. The driver looked an educated man and he turned out to be an ex-professor from an upper level university in Havana, taught philosophy, came here 15 years ago for purely economic reasons, looks forward to spending time in Cuba when he retires in 3 years time.
 At Miami airport, the check in for the direct flights to Cuba are on a seperate area, as they have to make sure your documents are right. It went smoothly enough.
The agent had an air of the islands about it and a name sonorous to remind us of tranquil beaches of the Caribbean: Myrna
She turned out to be from Haiti and the world is small enough that she knew the Haitian colleague, a physician, of mine!
The security was over with quickly and there is no immigration check when you leave the USA, so very soon I was in the Flagship Lounge of the American Airlines. I was looking forward to the breakfast.


 I like the idea that every single person in that club, including the lady who prepared the omelette was from another country and I usually engage in a little chat with them. Speaking Spanish has definite advantages in Miami.
 I was engrossed in Haruki Murakami's Killing Commandatore, a gripping tale in his typical style. Before long the lush greenery of the Havana region began appearing below and we landed safely.
The Immigration at Havana airport has been streamlined recently and the young lady was pleasant and stamped me in. Quickly through another x-ray security, checking for fresh agricultural products and then hand over your health form to the doctor or nurse manning the table. I was happy to recognize the doctor present today, he teaches at the Medical University for Latin American Students.
Today they were checking all canned food. I can travel around the world with just a carry on luggage but to Cuba, I arrive laden with goods, including this time lovely canned olives from Israel. A mangy dog a good metaphor for the current cuban crisis, sniffed at our canned good, taken out of the luggage. The efficient young lady was studying to be a lawyer. At the Havana airport it is not unusual to see students at the high school and university levels doing their work/study requirements and they all smile politely at you.
 I am surprised how heavy my luggages are, not used to travel like this to other parts of the world, but this is not just any country, but I am going home to CUBA and friends are waiting..
My driver was prompt but taking a snooze in his 1964 Peugeot and soon we were off to the city through such familiar scenery,
 To me Havana is a moveable feast and I enjoy its sights over and over again..
 Soon I was in my neighbourhood of Vedado and felt welcome by the familiar buildings, such as this Art Deco building just two blocks from my home.

 This little known monument at the corner of L and Linea is  dedicated to the CHINESE men who fought and died during the struggle for Cuban Independence. It has been there as long as I could remember.
My landlady was home, having arrived at my flat early enough to prepare a nice welcome Lunch..
 The sumptuous lunch did not foretell of the restriction that were put in place just a few days later, as a result of the blockade by USA of the petroleum supplies from Venezuela.
Turkey, Rice and Beans (Morro), avacado, freshly squeezed Mango juice, sparkling water and of course as always a cup of nice Cuban Coffee.
I am always humbled by the great solidarity that Cuban people in the islands show each other and other signals of resiliency against the man made difficulties from inside and outside.

I felt very welcome ..in the next few days, each and every day and night there would be visitors from near and far to make this ordinary life in Cuba an exciting one..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...