vendredi 6 septembre 2019

DAY IN THE LIFE OF A PHYSICIAN ANTHROPOLOGIST

When I was finishing my post graduate studies in Medicine (Endocrinology) my contemporaries were busy scouting for future residences and private practices. I was intent on an International Career which would satisfy my hunger for cultural knowledge as well as the desire to travel. Indigenous people chose me, rather than the other way around. I realized that all the knowledge accumulated in the medical school in London, residency training in Melbourne and Brisbane and the Endocrine training in St Louis and Miami in the USA of very little use if you want to be of help in HEALING the multiple insults the indigenous people have endured and many of which is now seen in their bodies and minds. I studied Medical Anthropology under the excellent stewardship of Profs Hellman and Frankenberg in London. 
Thus was able to carve out a life as a Physician-anthropologist. Also have the time to travel and learn, having travelled to nearly 100 countries.
Indigenous people believe in the equality of professionals, they dont put too much weight on your qualifications and board certifications but consider your HUMAN aspects and their perceived idea of your desire to be of assistance for healing.
Yesteday was a typical day for me. For the sake of the privacy of the people I work with and work for, I will not mention the names or locations. Most 'tourists' to indigenous areas do not realize that they dont really wish to be visited to satisfy someones hunger for off the track travelling.
I am always impressed with people who work with indigenous people, for their dedication for the welfare of the indigenous people, all over the world.
The visiting nurse arrived and in the company of the Consultant Dietician, we set off on a long drive to visit the isolated camps of family groups. On this clear day, I enjoyed the tribe.
It was particularly pleasing for me to see lots of NATIVE palm trees to this region. In the Afro Cuban belief system known as Santeria, the supreme spirit Xango is represented by the Palm tree and I thought fondly of my friends who always send me good feelings from their rituals in Cuba.
 The indigenous people do not like to destroy their environment and like to live surrounded by the native habitat. A typical native collection of trees and plants 
 It was time for Lunch and the Visiting Nurse suggested that we drive to a town near by.
A charming little town, very original and nostalgic of the great days of glory, well situated by the water.




 The decor of the restaurant was a throwback to the 1970s and the people were very friendly and welcoming and the food can be described only as purely local. I had some GROUPER fish and sweet potato.


The drive back to the clinic was long, over one hour. I sat looking at the scenery, endlessly consuming the trees and brush and water that passed me by, languorous in the mid day heat.
Medicine, Anthropology, Culture all in the course of a working day.. 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...