samedi 16 juin 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK MERRICK, AN OMAHA INDIAN

Last year, W S, an UmonHon, had announced publicly that from now on I was her brother. According to the Omaha Kinship system (the first kinship studied thoroughly so all kinship systems are referred to as Omaha Kinship), I inherited a large family of brothers, sisters, neices, nephews, grandchildren!
Already I was acquainted with the Merrick family and now it is their turn to take me in, thus people I have known and had been friends for a long time, began calling me and greeting me: Hello, Brother. After the initial adjustment, I began to realize the heavy responsibility of being adopted into a family. The true meaning of relationship became clearer to me. whatever affected the family members now was a part of your story as well. 
Mark who would have been sort of the eldest member of this clan and a Roadman, was celebrating his birthday and I showed up and was able to see the extended family to which I now belonged.
It was indeed an occasion to remember...I caught myself a couple of times, referring to the Rez, as "home" since that is what is for the family. When I invited a member of the M family to come to Miami, he said, it was enough once going away from the Rez, I am not leaving another time!
I am grateful for being accepted into the family and I will try to be a good relative..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...