vendredi 17 juin 2022

THE SURINAMESE ARE VERY POLITE PEOPLE... ALL RACES ..

 Once you arrive in Suriname, you have to get used to the various languages and various cultures. Each of the cultural groups maintain their individual identity while being proud of being Surinamese, with strong connection to Holland. 

On arrival, the driver who picked me up at the ungodly hour was called Ismaeli of Indian subcontinental origin. The receptionist at the hotel was of Jawanese origin. Within one day of my arrival there i had met so many different nationalities that inhabit this small country including the Jews who had been there before Africans, Hindustani or Jawanese! 

You can see an occasional Amerindian walking by minding their own business.

As I woke up as the strong sunlight even penetrated the thick curtain, this was my view from Hotel Palacio at Heeren Street. The Jawanese receptionist suggested deGadri restaurant for a Surinamese taste 





Walking along the streets of Paramaribo is a sheer delight to gawk at the wooden colonial building, not one or two, but rows and rows of them.

It was just the tail end of the lunch hour still the tables were occupied by mainly Surinamese people with an odd Dutch person (who are the most numerous of the tourists)
The chalkboard menu, boasted of Okra soup, Bami and Nasi I understood by my rudimentary knowledge of jawanese . Kip Pom I was told what it is.. I went into the restaurant where people were waiting for their takeway food and could see the chef toiling away. I approached a lady sitting on a chair waiting for her food.. begged her to explain and asked for a recommendation. She was Afro Surinamese and spoke good english and was glad to do so, and after her reommendation I chose Moksi Alesi 
without doubt it was the tastiest dish i tasted during my short stay in Paramaribo.

You can enjoy the river while you savour the surinamese cuisine. 

There are 

Indonesian restaurants 

Indian Restaurants and also Roti shops 

Chinese restaurants 

Coffee shops and bars galore 

In fact, going out to eat would be considered the prime entertainment in this small city 

On my return, without doubt deGadri would be my first stop ..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...