mercredi 12 janvier 2022

FROM AFRICA TO CUBA AND BACK HOMMAGE A TONTON FERRER. ORCHESTRA BAOBAB. AND DOS GARDENIAS PRA VÔCE

 I noticed the title of the song Homage a Ton Ton Ferrer.. ton ton is a french endearment for Uncle .. I like that word.  so Ferrer did not catch my attention. The group playing was the Orchestra Baobab from Dakar Senegal.

It was during one of our trips to South East Asia, my brother Eliyahu introduced me to the Putamayo album From Congo to Cuba. it is an excellent album, still!

No need to stress the importance of Africa in the music of Cuba, but like souls returning back to their origins, some of this music has travelled back to Africa and it can be heard all over the Atlantic side of Africa from Senegal to Angola and Congo. It seems that in the 1930s Cuban son and other rhythms travelled back and spread throughout the western part of Africa. 

When Club Baobab was founded in Senegalese capital, the resident orchestra was named Orchestra Baobab. Their distinct sound in Wolof and Mande languages but one hears also Matanzas and Santiago de Cuba. as if Mother Africa is welcoming back her children and children of children ..

There have been many artists who play this genre of African-Cuban music.. I remember Africando and some other musicians who moved to New York..

Music does unite people.



I was listening to this song and suddenly my ear picked up a familiar voice, that of Ibrahim Ferrer, whom I had met in La Habana and attended his funeral at Funeraria K 

I thought of the many times I had met Ibrahim, what a humble man with a silky voice always proud of his family, with his black cane adorned at both ends, that went to the grave with him.. a nice dinner at the house of my friend Sandra in Centro Habana..Austin Texas .. Houston Texas..

Then I realized that Orchestra was paying homage to Ibrahim..

What a nice find ..

This is what Orchestra Baobab actually look like..


Cuba has a very rich history of music and genuine original contributions which has touched millions of people all around the world. 
When I was watching Buena Vista Social Club (the movie, I have watched them live a couple of times also), I could hear deep sighs and wimpering from some old ladies in the audience perhaps remembering their glorious days in the pre-revolutionary Cuba, 
The song was Dos Gardenias 
the singers were Ibrahim Ferrer and Omara Portuondo (still going strong in her nineties)
Maria Rita from Brasil gives her rendition (her mother Ellis Regina also had a fabulous voice)

there are lines which bring back tears of joy and sorrrow for me..
tenho saudade por tudo..

I love you
Te quiero

But if a sunset
Pero si un atardecer

The gardenias of my love die
Las gardenias de mi amor se mueren

It's because they guessed
Es porque han adivinado

That your love has betrayed me
Que tu amor me ha traicionado


the joy of cuba is immense, so contagious and so touching.. How could I not remember those days listening to cuban music of the oriental region in Baracoa?


One thing came to my mind: it is I who share other people's lives and no one shares my life? Is that true? Do I have a particular life? Or is it just shekinah, the Jewish mystical idea of ​​wisdom being broken and reflecting, shekinah, so that the various affections are reflecting my love, each of them, so that there is one big love, that is for the universe, which is much bigger than each of us..

 

I wanted to hear Dos Gardenias in Portugese but I couldnt find it but I did find a nice rendition of Veinte Anos 20 years sung by a Cuban artist in Portugese!!
Here are the lyrics to Dos Gardenias.. Enjoy .. I wonder whether this song has been translated into Farsi?

Lyrics
Two gardenias for you
Dos gardenias para ti

With them I mean
Con ellas quiero decir

I love you, I adore you, my life
Te quiero, te adoro, mi vida

Give them all your attention
Ponles toda tu atención

What will your heart and mine be
Que serán tu corazón y el mío
Two gardenias for you
Dos gardenias para ti

That they will have all the warmth of a kiss
Que tendrán todo el calor de un beso

Of those kisses that I gave you
De esos besos que te di

And that they will never find you
Y que jamás te encontrarán

In the heat of another love
En el calor de otro querer
They will live by your side and talk to each other
A tu lado vivirán y se hablarán

Like when you are with me
Como cuando estás conmigo

And they will even believe that they will say
Y hasta creerán que se dirán

I love you
Te quiero

But if a sunset
Pero si un atardecer

The gardenias of my love die
Las gardenias de mi amor se mueren

It's because they guessed
Es porque han adivinado

That your love has betrayed me
Que tu amor me ha traicionado

Because there is another want
Porque existe otro querer
They will live by your side and talk to each other
A tu lado vivirán y se hablarán

Like when you are with me
Como cuando estás conmigo

And they will even believe that they will say
Y hasta creerán que se dirán

I love you
Te quiero

But if a sunset
Pero si un atardecer

The gardenias of my love die
Las gardenias de mi amor se mueren

It's because they guessed
Es porque han adivinado

That your love has betrayed me
Que tu amor me ha traicionado

Because there is another want
Porque existe otro querer

It's because they guessed
Es porque han adivinado

That your love has betrayed me
Que tu amor me ha traicionado

Because there is another want
Porque existe otro querer
Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Isolina Carrillo
Dos gardenias lyrics © Peer International Corporation

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...