vendredi 21 janvier 2022

FLIGHT TO NO DESTINATION, MOROCCO IS CLOSED SO I HAD TO CREATE AN ITINERARY

I had a ticket on British Airways to London and then on Iberia to Madrid and Marrakech. I was looking forward to returning to Riad 58 Blue and my new friends.

It was not to be.

I was informed by Iberia that Morocco has closed its borders and that it will fly me to Madrid. 


(muchas gracias, Katerine Estrada, a very good hostess at Flagship Dining in Miami Airport)

I was at the Flagship Lounge of the American Airlines in Miami and enjoying a flute of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle. A Cuban American, Katerine was very attentive and made sure that I had a nice repas before boarding the flight. Eating and drinking, far above my normal limits and a comfortable flight across the Atlantic allowed me to digest, pardon the pun, of the news of the cancellation of Marrakech as a destination.

C'est la Vie..



The BA lounge was inviting and I had a shower and I could feel the fatigue of a short flight across the Atlantic .. 


When in London, one must have Afternoon Tea.

Arriving in Madrid, cold and rainy and dark, stayed at Bonvoy hotel near the airport.. I slept so late that the check out time had lapsed and I decided to stay another night since I had no destination!

Everything was closed, the spaniards out celebrating Noche Buena. The F and B manager of the hotel was a friendly Moroccan transplant to whom I could recount my woes .. He suggested a nice wine and a fish dish which I enjoyed. 



It was nice to chat with Sr Mallouki from Maroc, now resident in Espana. 

that night I decided where to go, as I did not have to be in France for another week .

I have always wanted to visit Tenerife in the Canary Islands and I booked an early morning flight. Before the flight, I could enjoy the Iberia lounge with a nice breakfast 


I was quite surprised that IBERIA served lamb chops on this relatively short flight to Tenerife. It is a very user friendly airport and I immediately felt at home. 

The hotel was not very far away and the view of the sea and the mountains were very welcome. While technically still in Europe, this island is 200 miles west of Morocco. This is as close to Morocco that I would get.

Just behind the hotel was a string of outdoor restaurants serving small portions of food and I chose an Araperia and enjoyed a nice arepa, with a fresh juice and thought of Colombia where these things originate but the server reminded me that they were venezuelans and that is the land of arepa.. it was christmas day and I was enjoying my Arepa.




I was supposed to go to Marrakech and I ended up in Santa Cruz de Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Spain

Many other unexpected things were in store ..and a little sweetness from Tabriz..


 

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...