mardi 14 septembre 2021

MITAKUYE OYASIN. WE ARE ALL RELATED. AN EVENING OF CONNECTIONS WITH CUBA, BRASIL, MIAMI, ISRAEL

LAN is a pan Asian fusion restaurant here in Miami. It is owned by a Filipino Chinese chef who has built a reputation for tasty, healthy food based on recipes from around the Southeast Asian region. I had lunch there, a small cup of Miso soup, a salad, a small California roll and Salmon with glazed teriyaki sauce. As it was a Monday, I thought of filling the car up with petrol, getting ready for the week ahead which includes Yom Kippur.

While at the Petrol station, I remembered that my Israeli friend (Sudanese, Egyptian, Iraqi Jew) who has a hair dressing salon nearby. I had not seen him in a while. I decided to drop in, pulled into a small strip mall and walked towards his salon. From a few feet away, I could see him typing something into his telephone.

I opened the door, and his face was reminiscent of one who has seen a ghost. Pleasantly frightened I suppose. You will live to be 120, he said. I was writing a message to you, wishing you well over the fast on Yom Kippur, and I look up and here you are. We chit chatted for a while and he asked me, you are a healer, are you not ? I did not know what to answer. The best, closest to the truth would be, yes I am associated with people who are capable spiritual healers. 

My phone rings, which is rare, as I do not conduct my business on the phone, chatting. Messaging and texting but not talking.

It was my Cuban sister, the very person with whom an alliance in spiritual healing. The very topic we were discussing. 

I have to tell you what I saw in my healing table (mesa) this morning. Can you talk? I said I was with a friend. I noticed a sense of urgency in her voice. I will ask you a quick question, she said, is it necessary for you to travel this Friday to Brasil ? I was hesitant to answer, Yes, thinking of the person I was going to meet in Paraty, a seaside town much reminiscent of Baracoa in Cuba. Talk later, she hung up.

My Israeli friend and I went to a Cuban coffee shop and enjoyed some coffee and continued our conversation, but I couldn’t take my mind off the call from Cuba. 

This is my day off, said my Israeli friend, I decided to drop in by the Salon and what a surprise, I got to see you. When I said goodbye, he said, please send some blessings to my shop and I know you can. 

As I got into the car for the short ride home to my sister’s, I began feeling a strange sensation in my body. As soon I reached home, I had to use the bathroom and I took a shower. Called my spiritual sister in Cuba. She explained, what I saw in my mesa is that if you do go, you have to be extremely careful, as I cannot promise full protection for you. If you do go, I will have to go to 4 caminos outside Havana tomorrow and get some ingredients for a ritual I have to do for you. 

Things do not happen without a reason, the wise advice given to me by Meskwakia elder ran in my ears, it is just that we are not smart enough to understand them. I knew everything is related. As soon as I sat down after my conversation with my sister in Cuba, a message arrives from the person, the reason for my travel to Brasil. Would it be possible for you to postpone your trip? I discovered a forgotten appointment in another town as well as a mistaken appointment (by a month) with a governmental agency.

I was in the liminal state, but I knew at that minute that I was not going to Brasil this Friday. I told my friend in Brasil, I will cancel my trip and we can meet soon in Paraty, Paris or…..

I called the airlines, cancelled the trip and they informed me that I wont be penalized for the cancellation and that I can rebook it at any time. 

A sense of relief and a great calmness came over me, much like what a patient feels after having a fit (post ictal sedation).


I felt closer to my spiritual sister in Cuba, my friend in Brasil and I thanked all the Indian teachers over the years. I began preparing in my mind for the Jewish Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur .


Today, I received a message from my closest friends in south florida: would you like to join us for breaking the fast meal?  Of course, it would be my pleasure.


Our year 5782 has begun well for me, feel close to all the people important in my life and also feel good about looking after the special group of people I work with and with lots of unexpected pleasures on the horizon

October in Israel

November in France 


I would like to return to the Amazon. Visit my friends in Westport, Washington and Portland, Oregon, Piedras Negras, Mexico. I would like to  re visit the colonial city of Merida in Mexico. Mexico City.. all before the end of the year .


And CUBA is waiting.. 


The Synagogue in Cochin, Kerala, India 
The synagogue in Yangon, Myanmar 


at the synagogue in La Habana, Cuba.


To my mischpochah in Miami, Portland, Haifa, Brussels and the rest of the world 

A special hello to my jewish friends in Iquitos, Peru; Cochin, India, Yangon, Myanmar...


Well over the Fast on the day of Yom Kippur and wish every one a wonderful 5782

Like always , la shanah ha ba' a........



featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...