dimanche 14 mars 2021

MEDITATION OR MEDICATION? EFFECTS OF MEDITATION ON YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEART RATE

 

This is my Blood Pressure before my meditation practice towards the end of the day.

a Systolic BP of 112 is very decent and a diastolic of 79 is acceptable. The pulse rate of 81 would be considered normal by many physicians, but for me, it is a bit rapid and would like it to be less. a naturally occurring pulse rate of 60 per minute is considered a sign of a healthy heart. 

I have been tinkering with Meditation in the past few months and after I came in contact with Isha Kriya, i liked it very much. It was short and to the point and produced benefits if it is carried out on a regular basis.

Lately I have been reading Yuval Noah Harari and he had mentioned that regardless of his very very busy schedule, he finds time to do two sessions of one hour long Vipassana meditation. and in one of his lectures in India, he mentioned that he was very reluctant to begin meditation but was instructed by the late S. N. Goenka a Burmese national from Mandalay who migrated to India where he established a presence. His name became synonymous with Vipassana meditation.

Tonight I did 45 minutes of Vipassana meditation and at the end of it this is the result on my BP and Pulse.


There was no change in the Systolic BP readings but an impressive reduction in the Diastolic BP. Most physicians would consider this bottom reading of your BP measurement to be more important to your heart health. The reduction is a good one and if you look at medical literature, a reduction in Diastolic BP of 12 using a medication whether it be Lisinopril or Amlodipine, would be considered a pharmacologic victory. 

Yesterday I listened to the BBC where they were discussing about the Vagus Nerve and that breathing slowly and deeply does influence the activity of vagus nerve and that it slows down the heart rate. (The vagus nerve also seems to be involved in the production of the Neurotransmitter Serotonin, which despite its name is produced mainly in the Gut). A reduction in the pulse rate of 12 is nothing to snicker about. 

Our modern life creates so much Lifestyle related diseases but instead of prescribing Life style changes to prevent these diseases, the western medical system has invented excellent medication so that the patient can continue to live the destructive lifestyle that gave rise to the problem in the first instance.

When I was introduced to the work of the Yoga Institute of Santa Cruz in Bombay by my friend MYC in Kuala Lumpur, I became aware of the multiple uses of Yoga and Meditation in prevention and treatment of modern chronic illnesses.

I am happy to see that all around the world, Yoga and Meditation and Mindfulness are being taught to pupils at elementary schools. I witnessed a class at the European School in Brussels. It was marvelous to see a group of 8 year olds meditating!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...