jeudi 25 mars 2021

DOES BLOOD SUGAR GO UP AFTER EACH MEAL ? NOT NECESSARILY, DEPENDS UPON THE QUALITY OF FOOD AND PERHAPS THE MICROBIOME


While we were reading Medicine at the University, we are taught about the glucose excursions after a meal, in such a fashion. A powerpoint goes up and the teacher explains:


Many of the Insulin algorithms were based on this conception and the now debunked sliding scale of insulin as well as the famous multiple injections of insulin for Diabetes popular in the USA for a long time and exported to other countries.

The Question rose, does the blood sugar rise each time when you eat? how does it change when you have diabetes, type 1 or 2 or when you are pre-diabetic or just plain overweight or of normal size ?

Then came Glycaemic Index, I always associated GI with Australia and the work of Dr. Brand-Miller and it sort of made sense..

in a generic sense .

Remember Australia until recently was not known for DIVERSITY and I remember Caledonian Day being celebrated with fanfare in my home town city of Melbourne. 

Technological advance, Innovative science from Israel and my own studies in Anthropology all entered my life as I began working exclusively with the Indigenous peoples around the world. 

People are not the same, microbiomes are influenced by many factors and there cannot be a generic ADA diet for patients with Diabetes, cannot be.

The idea of microbiome and how they influence many of the diseases in the Endocrine spectrum (my field of specialization) was fascinating.

It does not matter how many grams of Carbohydrates I am eating, whether it is processed or not (my microbiomes do prefer pristine food not processed) or what colour it is: if my microbiomes do not like them my stomach would swell up, you can expect the BP to go up a little bit. Tomato, Strawberries. no no . I was very disappointed that being historically connected to the Middle East, my microbiomes do not like any of the grains, whole or enriched. But there are long lists of things they love being fed, a feast for them..

Getting to know the composition of my Microbiome, a gift from my sister friend, ex-Nurse Director of the Yakama Tribe, has been a boon to my health. 

So would the blood sugar go up each time you eat ? NOT NECESSARILY, depends upon what you eat and in my case, 1. pleasing my microbiomes 2. imitating my ancestral diet but fitting in my microbiomial demands. What would i do now for a lovely Israeli meal cooked by my brother in Haifa .. 3. If you live too long in the USA, you will begin to look like Americans, girth wise. 

How to help our patients?

Here is a patient of mine, (among the Indians, you do not have patients, only friends you have and you have not yet made) who was at the Emergency Room, three weeks ago, with Extremely high Blood sugars and other parameters, including an impressive Cholesterol of 775 !

He is indigenous, Lakota and whose family I have known for a long time. Fortunately for him, his wife has excellent knowledge of Nutrition and FOOD and they live in a part of USA well known for its abundance of variety of fresh food.

This is his Blood sugar before Lunch, his Lunch and one hour and two hour after his lunch.


BEFORE LUNCH  97 MG/DL
Blood sugar one hour after Lunch 93 mg/dl
Blood Sugar two hours after Lunch 98 mg/dl
THIS WAS HIS LUNCH. I told you his wife is knowledgeable about FOOD and they live in a lovely area known for fresh food.

By trial and error, he and his wife learned, very quickly, which of the food were not compatible with him.

If you are skeptical, here is the blood sugar average over the last seven days.. Easy determinations like these would have not been possible just a few years ago and Continuous Glucose Monitoring has been a boon .  Looking at the graphs on his Glucose Monitor, you can see that the BS is as flat as the Plains.

I have worked with his tribe and was able to learn what his ancestors ate, most of which are not easily available, but the imitation of ancestral food had worked well with him, thanks to his erudite wife!

He has come off his Insulin and oral medications. I would like you to notice: JUST THREE WEEKS .. When you meet your METABOLISM on its terms, it blesses you with a good functioning body. The next step would be Microbiome determination.

Needless to say that there are many other metabolic benefits, one of which is weight loss. I wont mention it here, as it would make many people jealous!!

One more point, from the point of view of Culture. Among the Lakota there is a saying   MITAKUYE OYASIN. we are all related.

I have noticed that RELATIONSHIP with the patient, not in a technical sense, but in a human sense, brings results.

Being with Indigenous people, I have always felt, I am their friend, with a little bit of Medical Knowledge to give them.

In return, over the course of years, the Meskwakia, the UmonHon, the Kickapoo, the Ticuna, the Malayan, the Mah Meri, the Lakota among others, all have given me so much 

Thank You 

Toda Rabbah in the language of my ancestors. 

Gracias, Merci Beaucoup, Obrigado in the languages that I like.


PS This morning my Lakota friend sent me his 14 day average Glucose excursion. Flat Line. Do you have any doubts now ?







featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...