dimanche 24 février 2019

THE NEW ICON . FRIDA KAHLO


THE NEW ICON
The icon you grew up with stays with you especially if you have an ideological connection with that person.
For me it has always been CHE and I must say my respect for him started long before my affiliation with Cuba and perhaps even influenced the decision to put my faith in Cuba.

Che was iconic of a generation who wanted to see changes in the political systems, which would help the majority of the population rather than a minority. Che became a symbol of people’s hopes for a better tomorrow.
In Cuba, the tourism industry has propelled CHE into teacups and magnets and hats and tee shirts. But elsewhere his popularity is on the decline perhaps it is like that in history, as new generations do not study their earlier revolutionaries while they struggle to reinvent the wheel.
I have paid homage to CHE, visiting the places he had lived and grown up in Argentina as well as his final resistant phase in Bolivia in La Higuera, Vallegrande.
Bob Marley shone for a little while and is on the brink of extinction as an ICON. While it was the taste for revolution that attracted one generation to the ideology of CHE, the blackness and readiness to fight injustice, under the smoke umbrellas of ganja, his music truly created a universal revolution.
I was lucky to be associated with Jamaica when Bob Marley’s fame was at its zenith.
I truly enjoyed the message in his music, did sport his colours while I was a junior doctor in Melbourne.
Move over Marley, the new icon is…. Guess?
It is Frida Kahlo
I think it is congruent with the new resurgence in the Me Too movement as Frida was an early feminist and independent soul who strived to portray herself as a tormented person in rally against the societal stereotypes in a macho society such as Mexico.
I had gone to visit her house, Casa Azul on a visit in 2008 to Mexico City but when did she enter my life?
Indian oppression was well portrayed in a mural by Diego Rivera in the Government houses in the Zocalo in Mexico City, and one cannot think of Diego without Frida.
A Jewish father and an Amerindian mother, born and raised in Mexico City as a rebel when such things were unheard of, poetry and art and selfies of her soul garishly portrayed, Frida had become a symbol a very long time ago.
But the iconization is quite recent.
At the markets in Cuernavaca one sees Frida appearing on tee shirts and dolls, but it was in Buenos Aires that I saw the full extent of Frida’s iconization.. They have everything with Frida’s face or caricature of her with her prominent eyebrows.
I had decided to seriously take up the MATE drink and sip it during my travels. And I needed a small bag to hold my Mate with its Bombilla and Yerba. So I bought a small bag with the countenance of Frida on it.
I look forward to sipping Mate sitting at a favourite restaurant, Genevieve’s in Siem Reap in Cambodia, anxiously waiting for my Khmer fish amok dish.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...