dimanche 25 novembre 2018

HAVANA NIGHTS LA NOCHE DE LA HABANA


LA NOCHE DE LA HABANA
HAVANA NIGHTS

It was to be a gathering of friends, colleagues of good standing with each other.

The guest of honour was the newly arrived Malaysian Ambassador who charmed the Cubans with his openness and friendliness.

The people with whom I am associated with, are the best of the Cuban society, hard working professionals with love for their country, despite facing economic difficulties at certain levels.

My landlady is extremely generous and wanted to throw a dinner party for my friends, fifteen of them in this instance. She would scour the food scene in Havana and procure all the ingredients and would prepare a delicious Cuban Home cooked dinner! She said. At a time there is a shortage of flour, she would look for a cake to celebrate the birthday of one of my friends. When I saw the repast, I could understand that she had toiled over the dinner over a couple of days: salads, bread rolls with filling, chicken croquetas, friend chicken with rice in soya sauce, pork for those who wanted this perennial Cuban taste, fresh fillet of pargo (snapper), congri (brown rice and beans), a huge cake.

My own part was rather simple Four Bottles of wine that I could bring without paying duty: A Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc from NZ, two bottles of Lindeman’s Shiraz, one bottle of Malbec from Trapiche in Argentina. I bought three extra bottles locally, usually mediocre quality wine sold at high prices by people who have no idea about wine, sauvignon blanch/chardonnay from Chile, one bottle was given to me, a Spanish red, and a bottle of whiskey. My own contribution to the feast amounted to less than 100 dollars, mostly in wines.
The first person to arrive was my mother, who handed me a piece of paper with the telephone number of a well-known Cuban writer. I was happy about that. Slowly one by one or in groups friends gathered. Wine and appetizers were aplenty. Malaysian Ambassador and his aide arrived and they joined in the merriment.


Something very special about this night, most of us had known each other for a while and the friendly ambiance continued through the delicious dinner.  Was it perhaps our shared destinies or our desire to touch each other at a special spiritual level? No one was complaining about the economic situation or the political threats from the North.
Nice dinner
Nice company
And this was the night in Havana

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...