mercredi 21 novembre 2018

COMING HOME TO HAVANA


Coming Home to Havana

The flight from Miami was a short 51 minutes today. The flight was mostly Cuban Americans going to celebrate holidays or vacations, a sprinkling of foreigners, remainder of the Hippie days and ideologies.
I was sitting in Seat 4 C and there was no one sitting next to me.
Before I knew it the captain was announcing that we are about to land.
I was the first one off the plane and this time I carefully chose who would get the privilege of being my Immigration Officer. No older black stern looking ladies with ideology stiff of their necks, I chose a pleasant 30 something man, looked of canary island origin. Even before he could ask anything I said; I am a professor at the University and have a long-standing relationship with Cuba.
A couple of quick checks and he said
Bienvenidos a Cuba and stamped my passport.
A young recent graduate was manning the electronic gate where they check your hand luggage and the process was just anything but rigorous, I had two carry on this time, so I was a little apprehensive but nothing happened.
Standing at the carousel to retrieve my two heavy bags, one laden with food and the other with presents of necessary stuff for my friends. The food-containing suitcase had an AX mark that makes obligatory checking by the Public Health or Fito Sanitary inspectors. I opened the bag, before that I gave them my card saying that I am a Medical Doctor and a Professor. The usual questions, and a check to make sure I was not brining anything that would be destructive to the agriculture and cane sugar in Cuba… and within minutes I was out through the throngs, some offering me taxi rides.
I had already called my chauffeur from Miami and he would be there at our usual place of meeting. I went to the Money Exchange place. There were four of the agents sitting there, an unusual sight indeed in Cuba, I chose a young women (in fact hey were all young women) and the first she said to me was L why don’t you give me your scarf? No I said but I will give you a piece of chocolate, as the previous time that was the request from yet another young lady at the window. She shows it to others as if some trophy and I added to her loot by donating one of the nice ballpoint pens from my travels. A quick transaction to change some Euros into CUC...and to the waiting driver
My driver effusively greets me and said the 1949 Oldsmobile is waiting.. He kept on telling how much he liked to come and pick me up. This has gone beyond the financial arrangements we have, as he has not increased the price of the pick up in years plus he never asks for any gifts or extra money. For him, the friendship has some deep meaning and sensibility.
My landlady was already in the house, having arrived there earlier in the day, to prepare my lunch.
The menu was Yuca, White Rice and LOBSTER.. I called a visiting social scientist and asked her to join me for Lunch and when she arrived, the three of us had a nice chat and a slow lunch, and talking about our various positive views of the Cuban society..  A nice welcome home, after wandering around the world since leaving Cuba just three weeks ago.

PS my Landlady is allergic to Lobsters..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...