vendredi 30 novembre 2018

FLYING AMERICAN AIRLINES : LOYALTY STILL MATTERS

I used to be a loyal Delta Airlines flier and when they changed their Frequent Flier programme, I switched to United Airlines and when they devalued their programme switched to American Airlines. Now every one has devalued their Frequent Flier programmes and you choose your airline for the Alliance and the privileges one gets being a top tier frequent flier.
I am Executive Platinum in the American Airlines AAdvantage Frequent flier programme. On a short flight from Havana to Miami, I received this note from the Flight Attendant on my section of the plane (seat 3 B with no one sitting in seat 3A)
I usually like to chat with the Flight Attendants and as an anthropologist enjoy this short interaction of people who make my flying experience enjoyable.
I also hold the highest Frequent Flier tier in Qatar Airways which is without doubt my favourite airline and the Crew the best in the business. I do not hide my admiration for them. The reason I do not talk to many American Airlines FAs is that they do not seem receptive, far more interested in their wifi , sudoku and reading matters and greying hairs (grandmas, another CEO had called them). On one of my CDG-MIA flight, the attendants were barely friendly, service was without a smile and within a hour, they had hurried through the lunch service and then disappeared until just before the plane landed in Miami.
I fondly think in those moments about the lovely people who staff the QR Qatar Airways Cabin, how lovely are their presence and the hours I have spent on conversations with them: from various countries in Asia and some from Africa and Europe.. Some stand out in my memory:  south korea  Japan Romania ..they are ever present in the cabin and you are served food and drink whenever you want, whatever you want. My last QR flight was Miami to Doha to Cochin and I purposely took a long break of 6 hours at Doha airport so that I can enjoy their lounge, Al Mourjan, for which there is no competition in the USA.. even the newer American Airlines Flagship lounge to which I have access can hold a candle to Al Mourjan.
On this flight from Havana to Miami, the reception was the usual okay, you are here, what do you need with a have a nice day kind of smile on the face of the FAs except one who seemed genuinely interested in a conversation, about AA of course and Doug Parker their CEO (none of the airlines CEO are looked up in respect by USA Public, much on par with Used Car salesmen) and the routes and rules and desires to discover the world.
The QR FAs are so eager to discover the world and of course they have a chance to, QR flies to 150 different destinations all around the world, whereas AA is pretty restricted to the Americas and some ports in Europe, small foot print in couple of cities in China and Tokyo and Seoul in their itinerary. The QR FAs are very grateful for their jobs, their chance to see the world, a chance to save money to start businesses in their far flung homes. I continue to enjoy their company on my long haul flights to Asia.
So I was very pleasantly surprised when i received the above unexpected note from the FA on my section. Thank you and certainly such a genuine gesture makes you feel warm about the airline you are loyal to.

My next adventure (which are monthly occurrences)  Miami to Brussels to Tel Aviv to Cochin to Siem Reap to Kuala Lumpur to USA via Narita starts in a few days time...
I would be flying 
American Airlines
Finnair
Brussels Airlines
Egyptair
Air India 
Malaysian Airlines
Japan Airlines
I look forward to them all..

and to welcome the New Year in Siem Reap Cambodia ..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...