mercredi 21 novembre 2018

BREAKFAST AT HOME IN HAVANA

-->
BREAKFAST AT HOME IN HAVANA

Today was to be a day of rest and it did turn out this way. A morning walk along the Malecon before it got too hot and then stop in front of Hotel Presidente to catch their Wi-Fi signal to check the emails or msg from Asia before it is too late over there.
When I got home, fully stocked as it was by my landlady, the neighbour came up to prepare a nice cup of flavourful coffee (why does the coffee taste so good in Havana compared to Miami I always wonder?).
It was a full breakfast with the added luxury of being able to read the New York Times!
An omelet with vegetables, toasted bread with cheese and strawberry preserve from France , freshly squeezes papaya juice..
The days have a different rhythm in Havana. I go for a walk in the morning, preferably by the seaside, then check my email at the wifi hotspot, a leisurely breakfast and then plan the day, which usually involves spnding time with friends or colleagues.
I am having a few friends over for dinner in two days time (may be about 15-18), so my duty is to find good wines to the bottles which I brought from Miami : Shiraz from Australia, Malbec from Argentina and a Kim Crawford. Cuba does not have a wine culture and whoever is the buyer for the supermarkets is oenological novice at best.. we forgive him for brining the best of the “plonk” from other countries and doubling the price, I wonder whether anyone ever buys any wine except the addicted ones from the west?
But it is a pleasure for me to look at the various products displayed at the supermarkets here, almost all of them are imported and almost all of them could be produced locally. Why biscuits from Brasil or Milk from Spain? And of course they don’t have to produce it and sell it to the public at a price which does not reflect the earning capacity of the average Cuban.
I asked my friend jokingly, we are the best supermarket for Affections, you can have various types of home made affections available here in Cuba but why our supermarkets for goods are so underdeveloped?

No one can explain the economy of this country to me. People are not paid much but every one seems to be well fed and well clothed . There is not the poverty one is used to seeing in other Latin American countries, nor are their excesses present. A very healthy population, all children at school, good medical system, and health care, but the prices of goods at store and the quality of goods are beyond comprehension.
The only thing one can say is CHEAP in our supermarkets is the RUM produced in Cuba which costs only about 25% of the price abroad. Every other item is more expensive than Europe.
This is what I was thinking about, while enjoying a breakfast at my house in Havana, Cuba

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...