vendredi 7 septembre 2018

GOOD WISHES FOR A PROSPEROUS AND CONTENT 5779

GREETINGS FROM ISRAEL. SHANAH TOVAH TIKKETEVU.
It is so nice, my first ever time, that I am in the Land of Israel for the Jewish New Year
I came across an article by a Jewish Journalist from USA whose father had been a rabbi at the Calcutta Synagogue. I thought it was erudite and enjoyable an article. So I am reproducing some parts of that article.





Before eating dates (tamar): May it be your will, God, that enmity will end. (Tamar resembles the word for end, yitamu.)
Before eating pomegranate: May we be as full of mitzvot as the pomegranate is full of seeds.
Before eating apple: May it be Your will, God, to renew for us a good and sweet year.
Before eating string beans (rubia): May it be Your will, God, that our merits increase. (Rubia resembles the word for increase, yirbu.) Instead of string beans, Jews from Libya mix sugar and sesame seeds to symbolize plenty, because the grains are so tiny and numerous that they can’t be counted.

Other Blessings

Before eating pumpkin or gourd (k’ra): May it be Your will, God, to tear away all evil decrees against us, as our merits are proclaimed before you. (K’ra resembles the words for “tear” and “proclaimed.”)
Before eating spinach or beet leaves (selek): May it be Your will, God, that all the enemies who might beat us will retreat, and we will beat a path to freedom (Selek resembles the word for retreat, yistalku).
Before eating leeks, chives, or scallions (karti): May it be Your will, God, that our enemies be cut off. (Karti resembles yikartu, the word for “cut off.”) Jews from Persia tear the scallions and throw them behind their backs and over their shoulders. Sometimes they then say the actual names of the enemies they want to destroy.

For families who do not wish to recite these blessings, they can be adapted to reflect positive wishes like friendship and harmony. For instance, the wish for karti (scallions, chives, or leeks) might be, she-yikaret me-aleinu kol ra ve-nitbarekh b’shalom that all evil should be cut off from us and we should be blessed with peace. Participants can suggest concrete steps towards achieving these goals: thanking a teacher or co-worker, honouring parents, paying a  call, or respecting the environment.
Gratitude  Humility Responsibility 
Good Human Qualities for every one and not just for Jews. And not only at the New Year Celebrations but throughout the Year.
I am in Israel with the family of my younger brother and it does feel special. We had breakfast by the beach and it reminded me so much of the Acland street of my youth and Miami Beach of my student days..

Ever since my youth, I had taken a special interest in the vanishing or vanished Jewish Communities of this planet and have been lucky to have visited living and extinct jewish communities 
Fort Cochin, Ernakulum in India as well as synagogues in Mala, Parur and Chendamangalam
Jewish Cemetery in Penang Malaysia 
The Last Jews of Rangoon Burma 
The functioning synagogue in Singapore 
Mellahs of Essaouira, Marakkech and some mountain Berber tombs and synagogues, Morocco
Various Jewish cemeteries and the synagogue in Jamaica 
The dwindling jewish communities of Cuba, the ashkenazi and sefardic synagogues in La Habana (also the orthodox one) plus the synagogue and community in Santiago de Cuba
Explored the Jews along the Amazon River in Brasil and Peru. In Colombian amazon I could not find any remnants.
Looked for Jewish History in Easter Island and Zanzibar.
I remember meeting an isolated jewish photographer on my way to see the birthplace of Timurlane and an isolated shopkeeper where Finland and Norway meet on the road from Ivalo in Lappland.
Strangely enough I have no desire to explore into the lost tribes of Israel in any part of the world. I don't wish to go to see the Menashe tribe of NE India when I can be with the descendants of Menashe tribe in Israel. 
I would love to explore the Jewish communities of Iran and the tomb of Queen Esther but I am not welcome there. Perhaps one day when Israel and Iran become friends.. OJALA!
It was a pleasure to explore the houses that belonged to the jewish merchants in Iquitos, Peru (Cohen and Sons for example), visit active synagogues in Panama City and Buenos Aires
and collect stories about individual jewish merchants in far away places, such as Piedras Negras in Coahuila, Mexico or the Winnebago Indian Reservation in Nebraska, USA.
The person serving us this morning had finished her military duties and hopes to become a Nurse and I wished her well. Looking around the many people all up and down this portion of the beach, I felt an immense satisfaction and a pleasure of belonging to this Nation.

Good and Happy and Prosperous New Year to all, especially to my 
Special friends in Cochin, India
My mischpochah all around the world 
My good friends in Cuba



featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...