dimanche 9 septembre 2018

SHANAH TOVAH TO THE JEWS OF INDIA AND IRAN ... MAY ALL OF US BE UNITED SOON

I have nurtured a love for smaller jewish communities around the world ever since I became aware of them and was able to visit them.
Currently I live in an apartment in La Habana, it was built by a Itzhak Grinsman who left to go to Miami after the triumph of the Cuban Revolution. The President(a) of the Jewish Community lives in the next building from the one I stay at.
I frequently visit my good friends Mathew, Rockey and Elias in Cochin. Elias I consider him to be the Last Jew of Cochin and over the years I was able to do a fair bit of historic research on the origin of the Malabari Jews of Cochin, also the Paradesi Jews (so called because they were late comers, having arrived around 1602).
I am very emotionally attached to IRAN, a country I have some connection to (the same with Burma and the last of the Jews there) and hopefully when Israel and Iran becomes friends, we could travel there without any fear.
(sunset in Haifa)
I am in Haifa with my family here and as the sun goes down tonight we will celebrate the Jewish New year 5779.. family and of course, lots of different kinds of traditional and symbolic foods.
I think of my friends in isolated Jewish communities, such as Sami Weisselberger in Iquitos, Peru; the Samuels family in Rangoon, remnant Jews of Kingston, Jamaica, and also Elias and his wife Ofra in Cochin, India. and the remnant Jews of La Habana and Camaguey and Cienfuegos and Santiago de Cuba in Cuba.
Also a good time to remember with gratitude the teachers who are no more: Lessner, Miami; Hellman, Cape Town and London among others.
This morning my friend Elias, the last jew of Cochin sent me a clip from a newspaper in India talking about the foods prepared for this time of the year by the three distinct jewish communities of India: Iraqis, Bnei Israel and Cochini.



I wish all people, scattered around the globe, on this beginning of the Jewish New Year 5779  Health and Happiness, Peace and contentment.
Being Jewish, we would like to argue what Happiness means, what Contentment means but we all agree on Health and Peace.
I especially wish Jewish people of Melbourne and Australia a Happy New Year 5779

I am leaving for Qatar on the third day of the month of Tishrei 5779
Kol Nidre would be spend with good friends M/G in Miami.

a very special shanah tovah to LBGS.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...