samedi 29 septembre 2018

24 HOURS IN LA HABANA, CUBA EVERYONE FALLS IN LOVE WITH HAVANA AND CUBA

How wonderful it is to be back in La Habana, Cuba.
I can proudly say and feel, I live in Havana, Cuba. I will upload pictures of my first 24 hours in la Habana and it has been nothing but a grand pleasure to the senses and a barrage of emotions.
These photos are from my arrival at Jose Marti International Airport until my arrival at my house in Vedado.
 The process of arrival and customs inspections have changed so dramatically in the last two years. I used to be anxious when passing through Immigration and Customs. Today the pleasant Border Control Officer with an unpleasant name of Yasser smiled and said  Welcome to Cuba and the Customs inspection of my cans of food was just cursory
 It was so good to see a colleague from work in Miami at the airport. Welcome to our Island, said He.
 These antique cars still plying the road remind us that we have arrived at the right place  La Habana of dreams and aspirations and desires 
 Arranging the pick up of someone from the airport is not easy, there are many commercial methods but it is lovely to be met by friends, but they have to find a car and petrol and driver to come and get you. This time I was met at the airport. A very coquettish woman at the Money Exchange changed my Euros to CUC (the tourist dollars of Cuba) and she asked me, do you have any chocolates for me?
Unfortunately  I did not
 At the Plaza de la Revolution, large portrait of CHE greets you and you feel welcome to CUBA
 This is where all the long distance buses arrive and it has a special atmosphere of arrival and departure, nothing is ever certain here. adding to the suspense of living in this island .

 I have seen these buildings hundreds of times but each time they appear fresh and feel good to make their acquaintance 
 You can genuinely claim that Cuba is one of the few countries in the world where the women are respected and have high status in the society. the above billboard says
You are more than just being ordered around
 The day of my arrival coincided with the founding of CDR the neighbourhood committes for the Defence of the Revolution and there were celebratory airs every where. The billboard above with young faces of the Revolution, the past two past presidents  Fidel and Raul






 It was good to arrive at the familiarity of the house.


The neighbours arrived promptly and set to work on the breakfast of eggs, juice, agua con gas and nice cup of cuban coffee 
 I had a packet of Jasmine Rice from Thailand which was a good addition
 I had asked my younger brother for some Israeli flags. Cubans admire the Israelis and what they have accomplished while the Government pays lip service to their Palestinian brothers. Israeli tourists and Israeli businessmen pump money into Cuban economy. Talk is cheap, but it does not improve the economy
Like in India and now in Iraq when people know about the innovations in Israel despite Hezbollah and Iran vouching to destroy it, they admire that little country. 
Very happy to be home and feel the genuie affections of the people here. Do not mistake the friendliness of Cubans for something else, they are genuinely warm people.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...