jeudi 13 septembre 2018

TRAVELLING QATAR AIRWAYS IS AN UNENDING PLEASURE


TRAVELLING QATAR AIRWAYS IS AN UNENDING PLEASURE
I am connected to the Wi-Fi on Qatar Airways Flight QR 777 from Doha to Miami. It is an Airbus 350 and I managed to obtain my favourite seat, 1 K
Yesterday I flew into Doha from Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv to Amman was on Royal Jordanian and Amman to Doha was on Qatar Airways.
I truly look forward to my QR flights. It is not just the flight alone, the competent pilots and brand new aircrafts but to me, it is the people who make my expectations about QR a reality.
Even though the flight from Amman to Doha was a short one, about the same time as Miami to New York, a full course meal with champagne and wine and other offerings from the bar. The aircraft was also an Airbus 350 and I was in seat 1 A enjoying fully my privacy.
The Senior Cabin Crew, another term for Purser? Of the flight was Miss K from Phuket.  The service that was to follow in that flight and on this one to Miami was nothing short of exemplary.
I remember reading a book by Alexander Frater, The Blue Skies about the London to Australia service of the British Airways (at that time called the Imperial airways). Each night the plane would land and a tent would be set up and people would dress for the dinner offered! It was the prime of long distance travel.
British Airways and their buddies Iberia and American Airlines seem to have forgotten this legacy. On a recent flight from Miami to Barcelona on American Airlines AA, I noticed that within one hour of reaching cruising altitude the crew had served the meals and disappeared for the rest of the flight. These Grandmas, as an eminent CEO had called them, are not suited for this rigorous job of looking after pleasant as well as cranky passengers over long distances.
Miss K was at hand throughout the flight and personally brought me the fish snapper dish as well as Champagne I had requested. She deserves a Qatar Star!
The arrival was seamless, immigration was taken care at the special lounge for arriving Business class travellers (in addition to the arrival lounge as well).
The infrastructure for travellers to Qatar is very good. Taxis to the central area cost 20$ and Uber around $10.
I stayed at the Marriott Marquis and I have written about the hospitality they offer in another blog. I repeated the journey back to the Airport this morning.
The separate check in facility for Business Class passengers is not just a counter or two but a whole section.
In Qatar, there is a diversity of workers from all the continents. Indian accents are the most common followed by Filipino way of speaking English by people who have Spanish names but don’t speak Spanish. An Indian lady issued my boarding pass and within minutes I cleared security, once again a separate facility and on to my favourite lounge in the entire world Al Mourjan.

It was 6 30 AM
I have to stagger my eating for the coming 24 hours I thought to myself.
On one section there is a European buffet, I don’t even go near it, interesting to watch that the Qataris were lining up there, as were East Indian travellers.
I went to the Asian section: mee hoon, which I had not tasted in a while, paratta with mushroom, raita and chana. A cup of Latte appeared soon after one of the workers greeted me, I recognized him from one of the multiple previous visits.
7 15 am slowly meandered to the gate C2 close to the Lounge and the Ugandan security people made the process easier with their broad smiles.
I boarded immediately and at the door was welcomed by Ms. M who is Filipina but grew up in Austria.
A lady from Poland, Ms. Z welcomed me and Ms. C from Philippines came over with warm towel and ginger-lime drink.
One minute before the expected time of departure of 8 am, we left the gate with the Spanish Female Captain comforting us with the prognostication that a pleasant flight is to be expected.
I joined the Wi-Fi, which costs 20 dollars for the entire journey of 15 hours and soon connected with a companion from Vietnam, the time difference suitable for slow, leisurely conversation, as the Wi-Fi sometimes fades away.
I chose a simple breakfast of omelet and complemented it with Karak Cardomon Chai. Before I knew it two hours had flown by.
Both Ms. M and Ms. C spent time chatting with me in between begging me to have more food or drinks but I wanted to limit my intake. But Pommery Champagne was not included in the limited items!
Ms. M has been with QR for ten years and as is the case with all the Crew I have interviewed, she loves her job and enjoys the interactions with the travellers.
Who are the travellers in this section of QR?



I am flying from Doha to Miami and in the front section there are about 20 people, a couple from India/Pakistan, a young Qatari? And the rest were European Americans of a certain age. The passengers were a well-behaved crowd. I am into the 12th hour of the flight; I can tell you I have not heard any speaking voices above a whisper!
It is a long flight and the Cabin Crew gets to rest as well, in incremented fashion, 2 hours here and 2 hours there or 5 hours. They go away and reappear looking chirpy bright and immaculate in their uniform and the hair in place.
I appreciate the fact that QR uses the same uniform for all its employees in the service sector, whether they are checking you in or greeting you at Al Mourjan or on board.
The flight 777 flew westwards 
Iran Iraq were all history beneath us, I woke up from a slumber to see Bulgaria passing by and then on to Serbia, westward on to Spain and Lower France and on to the great Atlantic Ocean.
There was a threatening storm; the storm of the century, which fortunately decided to keep itself quiet, and I can see that flights were going around the hurricane Florence.  I imagine we would fly to the south of it.


Ms. C would appear and another flute of champagne consumed.  Then she went off to her rest and Miss A from Nagoya took over. Because of my fascination with Japanese nutrition and cultural habits we had things to talk about. She was full of Japanese graciousness. Made me think of the intense cultural experiences in the back roads of the main island of Japan some years earlier.

Long silences, filled with reading and writing and yet another surprise! Ms. K whose namesake hurricane destroyed Louisiana coast was exactly opposite, calm and collected and soft-spoken, I waited for her to pour the last flute of champagne. 

I ask them, my stock question: How do you like working for QR? The answer always is an enthusiastic YES! It is a great compliment to the CEO of QR, HE Akbar Al Baker.
The time now is 2000 in Doha exactly 12 hours after our take off.
In one hour, I will request my repast (at Qatar Airways you can eat whatever you want whenever you want)
Tiger Prawn Salad with crunchy endive and red pepper mango salsa
Pan Seared Cod on a potato puree
I might try the dessert
Sticky toffee and date pudding (served hot with butterscotch sauce)
I already told Ms.A of Nagoya of my choices.
We would be passing through the areas affected by Hurricane Florence now downgraded to a Category 2, hope that does not interfere with the meal. There is a Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough on offer; I think I will stick to Champagne Pommery.






On this trip from Amman to Miami via Doha on QR, I have gotten to know
Ms. K from Phuket
Ms. M PH from Austria
Ms. C from Manila
Ms. K from PH
Ms. A from Nagoya

At Marriott Marquis did make two new friends at the Executive Lounge, Mr. W as well as Ms. L from PH.

As a Cultural Anthropologist and a doctor with a Psychological orientation, I ask myself this question: Why do I look forward to my QR flights?
It is definitely the pro-active service on board, not to mention the quality of food and wine as well as the comfort of the aircraft. Al Mourjan is a definite draw.

I hold highest level of Frequent Flier Status on American Airlines (Executive Platinum) as well as QR (Privilege Club Platinum) as well as Star Alliance Gold. My next trip on QR would be (in six weeks)
Miami to Doha with a deliberate long layover so that I can have a nice shower and a sit down meal and renew acquaintances with some workers and then on to Cochin for a two-day stay at the Bristow Bungalow Hotel facing the Arabian Sea. (I am the Unofficial Cuban Ambassador to Fort Cochin!)
Then on to Kuala Lumpur and unexpected pleasures.

Thank you everyone at QR I have spoken to, for your generous and kind treatment of this traveller. I will try to reciprocate your hospitality if ever you visit La Habana, Cuba





featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...