jeudi 27 mai 2021

IS KINDNESS CONTAGIOUS: A WONDERFUL DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST/ANTHROPOLOGIST TO THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES

 One of the pleasures of driving leisurely to the National Park to visit the Indigenous people, is to listen to BBC World Service.. It is truly, as it claims, the World's Radio Station.

This morning Claudia Hammond hosted a session of HEALTH CHECK and the title of the talk was 

Is kindness contagious?


The first thing that came to my mind was the wisdom of His Holiness Dalai Lama 
Today’s  talk was fascinating for me, how being KIND even more than usual normal self, can bring happiness not only to you but to others as well.

I decided to be consciously kind, to add to my regular and characteristic behaviour.
I came across a police check point and a lady police came over to check.
I engaged her in a conversation and got to know a little bit about her. She was born in the Republica Dominicana of a Dominican mother and Lebanese father and now have graduated as a rookie police. I told her that I was on my way to the Indigenous people and at all times, I made sure that there were no harsh feelings of any sort. 
I thought I would do five extra kind acts during the day, but little did I realize that within one hour I had already racked up five.

the very thought of preparing myself for this day, thus putting my mind and emotions at a calmer, much more equilibrated state, the gifts began to pour in.
I had wanted to make sure one of my colleagues and her husband had enough medications. Even before I spoke to her, she handed me a platter of Sushi for my lunch as I had mentioned to her that I am a little particular about what I eat.
The third person was an indigenous person with whom I had a very pleasant conversation and we exchanged medical and social information. Dont forget to come and see me either wednesday or thursday next week, he reminded me.

I had to make sure that his Haitian born nurse is recognized for her ability as a good Home Health Nurse and we chatted about Insulin therapy and Duvalier family (no connection!). I thanked her for her help and she promised to forward me by text the health parameters tomorrow.
I was already feeling very good 
Chatted amicably with some colleagues, communicated with an indigenous person who had a wild bear visit him at home. Rest of the day was spent on the welfare of the Indigenous people, and as I felt a sensation of helping (Tikkun Olam is the concept among the Jewish people), my spirits and my emotions all rose higher and higher.
Be kind not only to those who deserve it but to all the people you come across. Some are near you and some are far away.

In the podcast, they talked about a video from Thailand. Of course most Thai are devout Buddhists but that does not mean that all are compassionate.A young man helping others on his way back home from work and the completeness of his life is well portrayed. The Burmese call these MITTA , the pleasure he has is well portrayed


Later on , a study in Los Angeles was able to demonstrate that when you see someone doing an act of kindness, you tend to become kinder yourself. 

I have to thank HH Dalai Lama and today BBC World Service and my own friends far and near that I thought about and also the people who allowed me to show kindness to them.

I am richer in the emotions at the end of the day..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...