samedi 13 février 2021

SAUDADE SODADE marooned in Miami

 

It is 4 pm in the afternoon

The sun is fading in the horizon

leaving that tender touch on your skin 

A medical student in London is making tea 

A street called Pont Street, historically there might have been a bridge there 

across from Beauchamp place where there used to be a Lebanese Restaurant

A london radio station playing World Music, a place to buy music called Steins

That was the introduction to the song Sodade and Cabo Verdian music 

Mornas and Coladeras 

Fado strains of longings 

African beat from Angola and Guinea

and Cesaria Evora 


Such simple words

loaded with emotions 

departures departures 

for Lisboa for Boston 

Oh Mar Oh Mar 

a barrier and a hope 

Brasil is so far away 

That sense of saudade, the sense of having lost something that you never had or even had a chance to enjoy, is always present. Others with their words bring it back to me or it arises in me on a day like this in Miami where paradoxically an isolation has brought on the boredom of comfort .

While literature from Spanish America brought Magical Realism into life, it was Brasilian movies that brought back the same sensation. 
I had been introduced to Orfeo Negro which had become a cult movie and was shown on weekends in Australia. When I first arrived in USA at an University town, the student cinema showed a variety of movies from around the world.
one stands out in my memory:
It was sheer magic for me.
But I could not create that magic in my multiple visits to Brasil. Magical realism grows out of the harsh reality on the ground, I was to learn later.
Many other moments remain in memory, that come to haunt, Nacib played by Marcello Mastroianni, filmed in Paraty, which itself is a dream like location, Dona Flor...
but none other made an impression on me like 
Central do Brasil 
Fernanda Montenegro

No dia que você quiser lembrar de mim, dá uma olhada no retratinho que a gente tirou junto.

Eu digo isso porque tenho medo que um dia você também me esqueça.

Tenho saudade do meu pai, tenho saudade de tudo


Tenho Saudade de tudo

with tears in my heart full of saudade, dedicated to M in Bauru, Sao Paolo, Brasil.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...