jeudi 31 décembre 2020

IF YOU WANT RELIABLE AND TRUTHFUL NEWS, BE PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT

It was one of my professors of Medicine in Miami, Dr Howard Lessner, Olav ha shalom, who said to me: the drug companies would send you lots of free materials and glossy magazines but get your medical information from subscriptions, that you pay for, such as New England Journal of Medicine, BMJ, Lancet, JAMA etc.

Yuval Noah Harari recently reminded us of this: CNN or Yahoo News or Fox News should not be your source of information. Pay for your news. 

As the year was ending I renewed that promise once again.

Ever since I was a student in Australia I had read The Economist an erudite magazine ( I recommend it to the learners of the English language so that they can improve their vocabulary, have a dictionary handy) covering what is happening in this world. If you live in USA long enough, you can see how quickly you can become ignorant of what is happening in the world. 

While i am in Miami, I do not watch TV at all and do not lisen to any news channel, making an exception for the Public Radio when I am travelling through desolate parts of this country to visit the Indigenous people.

I renewed my subscription to The Economist . 

The local newspaper in Miami is called Miami Herald and it can be classified as one of the worst newspapers in the world if not in the universe ! I avoid it like a plague and when I rea their reports on Cuba I know that they have no idea of the place they are writing about! 

But USA has given us one of the best newspapers in the world: The New York Times

Each day they send me a summary of the headlinese but if you want to read in depth or read the analyses , one has to subscribe to it 

That is what i did to day.

Subscribed to the New York Times.

So i have now enough to keep me occupied and keep me in this planet and not just in this isolated paroquial place called Miami!

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...