lundi 5 février 2018

LOVE IN THE TIME OF THE SNOW STORM: AN ENDOCRINOLOGIST AMONG THE OMAHA

As far as most of the Omaha Indians are concerned, I am not an Endocrinologist, but their Uncle.
Few hours after I arrived at this Indian reservation from the Amazonia, snow began to fall and accumulate on top of the foot of snow already on ground. I found uncomfortable walking on the slippery snow so I made gingery careful steps towards the Clinic of the Omaha Indians.
Towards the evening, a coworker had gone during the bad weather to get me water and Lactose Free Milk! 
While I was in the Clinic, her husband texted me to ask whether I needed something from the next town, as the road would soon become impassable. I gave him a list: organic frozen vegetables, green leafy vegetables, organic frozen food. He arrived later with a gift for me, freshly made sushi from the place where he had gone shopping for me.
View from the Blue House.
I was engrossed in reading and writing when I heard some movements outside the house and soon a knock on the door. My Indian Sisters daughter had arrived with her boyfriend with shovels to make a path for me to walk to my car!
The idea that we are all related is so strong among the traditional Indians such as the Omaha, who maintain their culture despite the encroachment of all sorts by the outsiders. Two young people who come with their shovels after work so that I have a safe path to walk to my car! 
Another relative sent this picture of the sunset, lighting up the sky despite the cold and the snow, to remind us that our current difficulties are transient and if you look in the right direction there is always the bright light!
I invited my relatives in for a chat
I had some special gifts for them from Cuba. They had visited me in Cuba and I was happy to reciprocate their hospitality and kindness to me. They also made lasting impressions on my friends in Cuba.

I am grateful for this gift in my life, The Indigenous people of this continent, and I am grateful for being allowed to be part of their fabric of life.

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...