vendredi 19 juillet 2024

GRACIAS MI HERMANO FELIX DE MERIDA YUCATAN

Fernando Pessoa, the great Portuguese writer well known for his personal insecurities, once wrote: “If one of the faces that I pass daily on the streets disappear, I feel sad, yet they mean nothing to me, other than being a symbol of all life.”

For me, a great pleasure is being able to recognize faces in faraway places. Whether entering a hotel, a restaurant, or a common space, nothing gives me greater joy than greeting the receptionist by name at the DoubleTree in Kuala Lumpur (12 time zones away from my usual residence), the AVIS rent-a-car counter at Omaha Airport, or the waitress with the sonorous name Ochun at La Burrito Habanera along the Rampa across from the Riviera cinema in La Habana. I also enjoy finding familiar faces along the streets of Palermo in Buenos Aires.

Felix, the legless crooner who sits in front of the now-closed Teatro Contreras Peon, where the first Congress of Feminists was held in 1916, is one such person in Mérida, Yucatán, Mexico. Each time I pass him, he calls out "Dear Brother" and continues crooning. This morning was no different. I usually put a small coin in the hat he has in front of his wheelchair. As I was leaving, he called me back and said, "Dear Brother, this bracelet of mine I will give to you so that when you are far away, you will remember me." I was deeply touched by this gesture. It came at the right time, as these things happen in the symbolism of life.

I am going to Miami from here and plan to spend the next three weeks working with the indigenous people of Florida. I was not looking forward to the narrow-minded polemic discourse taking shape in that country. With just one simple gesture, Felix changed all that. Why am I complaining, flying around the world, dining on the best cuisine, and chatting with intellectual Iranian and other friends about poetry and songs? I wrote to my indigenous friends: I am looking forward to returning to you next week.

Gracias, mi hermano Felix.






featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...