dimanche 6 novembre 2022

TUK TUK DRIVER OF SIEM REAP IN CAMBODIA.. YON SOKUN

 One of the more delightful aspects of traveling is the chance to get to know the people who inhabit in their countries and not in the context of a commercial reaction in their countries 

I supposed the people you meet in the country as you arrive are usually involved in tourism or travel or hospitality industry.

But some tend to stand out and you know that a long term friendship or a mutual help is possible.

Siem Reap a sleepy village when I first visited has made itself endearing to my heart over the years and many of my friends have come to visit from other countries and my Burmese Brother has a boutique hotel here where I usually stay: Beyond Yangon

On his recommendation I decided to try a well known Khmer Chef's establishment MIHOB .

PassApp is an app in which one requests TUK TUK ( called Auto-Rikshas in other places). I requested a ride and soon a very well built Khmer man in his forties who spoke English well arrives with his tuk tuk. When we got out of his tuk tuk he wanted to know whether he should wait for us, i declined saying we dont know how long it would be.

After a nice dinner at MIHOB, Fish Amok was among the dishes,


I used the PassApp and imagine our surprise when Sokun appears as he had picked up our request. I realized that he was waiting around somewhere nearby.

He was also grateful for the little something extra I added to the fare, and I made arrangements to come the next afternoon for a short visit to Angkor Wat (second time on this visit) and also a drive to the countryside towards Phnom Krom and Lake Ton Le Sap. The figure he quoted was reasonable and I realized that this man is a fair person. Normally almost all Tuk Tuk drivers in Siem Reap would have quoted a price at least twice as much and thus initiating a relationship on a rather gritty path. Sokun's approach ingrates us and we add extra dollars to the fare he had demanded but without asking for any thing more.


The poor little tuk tuk coughed and spluttered up the hill and the view of the serene temples and the vast unending landscape was worth it all. then the view of the water village on view downhill.. 

we also drove down to the edge of the Lake and the small village seems to be busy preparing their fresh catch .

The next day he took me to the airport to say goodbye to a friend leaving that day and brought me home. 

Once again a reasonable price .

And today I am leaving for Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia and he was there promptly this morning at the appointed early hour.

I asked him what he owed his physique to, perhaps a few years in the military, he said No Sir, i was a foot ball player for the local team for five years.

I have a feeling that I will meet Sokun again ..


Okkun Kran...

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...