vendredi 1 juillet 2022

SHABBAT SHALOM WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO OTHER PEOPLE ?

 After writing the title, I realized that I had used the word OTHER to describe the 99.8% of the world's population who are not JEWISH. Usually we are the perpetual OTHER .. and I had already decided to give a title to my autobiography when it gets written 

The Other Who Has a Name 

As of 2020, the world's "core" Jewish population (those identifying as Jews above all else) was estimated at 14.8 million, 0.2% of the 7.95 billion worldwide population. 

So you can excuse people when they say they do not understand what Shabbat or Shalom is!

The majority of the world's jews are not religious but they are fiercely Jewish in that they belong to the Jewish people and know and observe certain millennial traditions and rituals.

Shabbath which arrives at the onset of the night of Friday until the same time Saturday is celebrated by Jews all around the world in one form or another.




 
I am not at all religious, the last time I attended any sort of communal religious ceremony would have been three years ago and that too, to celebrate the New Year. But wherever in the world that I am, on a friday night, I will light candles, say a word of thanks for the wheat wine and peace to all people. 

I have pictures of me lighting candles in Gizu, Japan; Siem Reap Cambodia, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, Morocco, Myanmar, and many many places ..

So this Friday, a very special Friday to me, according to yet another tradition to say thank you to four people in your life and the names should come without thinking (this is not a Jewish tradition). this you can do every morning. 

When I thought of it 

Le petite poete de Côte Sauvage

My colleague, AvP

A friend whose heart resonates with mine 7408 km away.

The country of France and MGW for their love of French food and wine .. dinner coming up on 3/7/2022

I am in a wonderful mood to welcome Shabbat .

I have prepared the candles, the glass of wine is poured . (the Iranian poets Hafez and Khayyam among others sang about wine). I bought pita bread with Zataar to say thanks for wheat and bread, wine to thank for the grapes and two tapered candles.

some of the favourite tunes are buzzing in my head already.


Lechah Dodi .. this tune has a very special meaning for me , not its literary meaning but what this song represents for me. 


shalom leven dodi 

I remember even after these many years when I first heard this song, sung by Jo Amar, a Moroccan Jew . I was attending a student meeting in Geneva, Switzerland.

My mind feels very calm. This large house is empty except me and the smell of incense from India and the Shabbat settling in.

Shabbat Shalom to all my Mischpochah wherever they are.

This shabbat, I say fondly Shabbat Shalom to my friends in IRAN.


Thank you my dear friends for leaving a little room in your hearts for this Jewish Doctor with no home but with a heart with humanitarian intent.


My brother Eliyahu and I at the Paradesi Synagogue in Mattancherry, Cochin. 

If any one of you want me to be your guide to the Jewish sites of Cochin in India (there are many), please let me know ..




featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...