samedi 24 octobre 2020

TOSKA IN RUSSIAN, COULD IT BE SAUDADE ?

Writing about one of the earliest short stories of Anton Chekhov, the author writes:

The title of this story—the Russian word toska—has no exact English equivalent, but it is the emotion that characterizes much of human life as Chekhov saw it. The story itself could stand as an extended definition of the word. Constance Garnett translates it as “misery,” ­Pevear and ­Volokhonsky turn up the volume to “anguish,” but the sense is closer to “longing.” In Russian, when you miss someone, you toska (toskovat’) for him. We live missing something, longing for ­something, though we do not always know what.


Does this not remind you of SAUDADE ?

Saudade is a word for a sad state of intense longing for someone or something that is absent, is one definition.

there are so many definitions of Saudade.

"vague and constant desire for something that does not and probably cannot exist."

Having "enjoyed" or "suffered" multitudes of ecstatic moments of Saudade, I have my own definition: It is the sense of loss of something even before you have it.

Fado da saudade

I sing fado for me
Eu canto o fado pra mim

Open the doors to me
Abre-me as portas que dão

From the heart out
Do coração cá pra fora
And my endless pain
E a minha dor sem ter fim

That is in that prison
Que está naquela prisão

Get out of prison, go away
Sai da prisão, vai-se embora
Oh, my pain
Ai, minha dor

Without the bitterness of your weeping
Sem o amargo do teu pranto

I didn't sing like a song
Não cantava como canto

In my bitter corner
No meu canto amargurado
Oh my love
Ai, meu amor

What are you now that I suffer and cry?
Que és agora que eu sofro e choro?

After all, now that I love
Afinal, agora que adoro

It's for you that I sing fado
É por ti que eu canto fado
I sing fado for me
Eu canto o fado pra mim

I've sung it for both of us
Já o cantei pra nós dois

But that was in the past
Mas isso foi no passado
Since this is the case, so be it
Já que assim é, seja assim

You forgot me after
Já me esqueceste depois

Each has its own fado
Já cada qual tem seu fado
The happier
O mais feliz

It's yours, I'm sure
É o teu, tenho a certeza

It is the fate of poverty
É o fado da pobreza

And that leads us to happiness
E que nos leva à felicidade
If God wanted it
Se Deus o quis

I don't envy you this achievement
Não te invejo essa conquista

Because mine is more fadista
Porque o meu é mais fadista

It's the fate of longing
É o fado da saudade









featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...