dimanche 30 avril 2023

MERIDA MEXICO IS A DREAM I FELT SO ALIVE THERE .. AND THANKFUL FOR FRIENDS ON THIS JOURNEY

 Many years ago, during a Psychiatry rotation (the only specialty where the Nurses Assistant knows as much as the Doctor, was my conclusion, even though I would have made a good psychiatrist, right now most of my practice is related to counselling patients with or without health problems), I was very bored and decided to take off to Merida in the Yucatan which is only 90 minutes away from Miami by air.

My love for Cuba was not full blown at that time and during the time of my stay in Miami before returning home, I visited Merida more than once.

Even while I was living in Australia, once a year dutifully I visited Merida tagging it on to a visit to Miami and the Caribbean islands, Jamaica taking up lion's share.



To my utter delight, Merida had not changed during my absence and the joy and laughter and music flowed in from every where. Taking the advice of my artist friend David S, i decided to just enjoy being there, being mindful of the noises faces flavours and tastes.







While sitting at the Grand Plaza, i thought of the many friends- at least four from Australia, many from USA, also, German, Spanish, French and Jamaican friends....who had shared their precious time with me here in this lovely city..  thank you..

Food..First night at Amaro for sentimental reasons; then Chaya Maya and another one commemorating the love of a Maya princess to a commoner, La Makech













People are friendly such as Isabel at Mi viejo Molina where I enjoyed the breakfasts. Even though she was busy we had time to chat a little.

I felt alive, slept very well at the very same hotel Gran Hotel within one block of the Plaza Mayor, where Jefe Comandante Fidel Castro had spent few nights on his way to liberate Cuba

Merida is a dream, a lover who hugs and kisses you passionately (even as far as Mashhad)..after she had abandoned you, and then you recollect all the kisses, sweet and passionate .. that is Merida for you.

I felt cleansed, who needs those fake Aztec chamans who blow smoke on your face for a fee, you need Merida, accept her without looking too much deeply.. the landowners Montejos or the vile Bishop Landa who burned around 5000 Indians for the sake of the purity of his religion...

Come to Merida, stay at a modest hotel, along with other Mexican tourists, forget USA or France or Cuba or Brasil ..

at every opportunity to help an unfortunate person do so, dont fall prey to fake cuban cigars and false prophets, breathe deeply as the full orange sun goes down to the western lands where the children are waiting to see it.. Enjoy Yucatecan cuisine and try food from other provinces of Mexico as well.. an enterprising Israeli has set up a Pita shop at the very spot my Canadian-Iranian friend Manoucher  used to run a coffee shop..

Sorry I neglected you, Merida. My other mistress, Cuba was so demanding and jealous.. but here I am back to you, if you would accept me ..








DEDICATED TO DR JENNIFER JANE TRINCA, DR TERRY HALL, MORGAN GUILLOU

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...