mercredi 20 avril 2022

OH! SAUDIA. YOU HAVE A LONG WAYS TO GO BEFORE BECOMING A FIRST CLASS AIRLINE.. I MISS QATAR AIRWAYS

MY FIRST EXPERIENCE FLYING SAUDIA: I AM GLAD HE ALI AKBAR IS RUNNING Qatar Airways WITH HIS ASIAN CREW

I have been partial to flying Qatar Airways ever since that first flight in 2014, when I flew from Houston to Doha to Jakarta. The exceptionally high standard that I encountered in that flight has remained constant over the years. During the covid years I was not able to fly QR Qatar Airways and now with looking World Cup, it would be a while before I can enjoy that seat 1 K and the expected good service.


I thought I would experiment with a new airline from the region. Etihad not impressed me. A lot of talk about Saudia and the relaxation of rules of entering the Kingdom, that tempted me to book a seat from Europe to Cochin in India.

I looked forward to this adventure, and it turned out to be an adventure in the bad sense of the word.

The initial indication that this would turn out to be just ordinary was when I couldn’t log on to their web site as they required me to have a code on my phone, which they never sent after repeated requests, thus unable to check in. Uneasily I stood in line at the check in of Saudia at Madrid Terminal 1. The haughty Spaniard barked instructions at me, don’t these people know that some of us travellers are more experienced than them? I was given the seat 1 A but from then on it was delay after delay and waiting and chaos of the pilgrims at the boarding gate.

We were supposed to leave at 16 55 and the plane arrived late, and we were not able to take off until after 1850, nearly a two-hour delay. I had a connecting flight at Jeddah, and I was apprehensive after having witnessed staff efficiency. I knew what Qatar would have done, already someone might be waiting for me at the gate, and quickly usher me to the gate for my next flight, but that is QR and not SV (code for Saudia).

When I fly on certain spurious routes, can’t fail to see  fellow passengers and of course, Saudia is the airline of the holiest shrines of Islam so long dresses for men and burqas for women were overflowing at the departure area. Slickly dressed Africans with expensive suitcases reminded me of the kleptocrats of certain African states and thought of the Yahoo Boys and their spam industry. On my section of the plane, there were Saudi businessmen and a lone European with his Filipina wife (a combination now seen more often). The brightest spot on the entire flight so far was the flight attendant on my side, a French Moroccan, Ms. R. You could see the spark in her enthusiasm and attention. Most other attendants were of the American Airlines quality: there but not seen or to be pressed into service.

There was no menu, and this is a dry airline (there was no great deal about that) but Ms R was patient and I choose the Arab Mezze (delicious), a lamb dish to honour the Passover period we are going through (with couscous and quite tasty). A chocolate cake and a nicely made coffee embroidered this culinary delight. 

We were approaching the Arabian coast when I received a message to say that my flight had been postponed to the next day. I noticed that we had a full 40 minutes to go through security and to the departure gate. But the inefficiency of Saudia was highlighted here.

Unlike QR, the staff here are all Arabic speaking, possibly be even all Saudis, good luck to them.

Because the computer showed that our flight was postponed, despite having enough time to catch the flight, we were delayed while young men were arguing back and forth and calling a variety of people. In the end a kind looking young man asked us to hurry up but the security was in no generous mood, they wanted us to divest us of shoes, belts, watch and other things temporarily attached our bodies. I rushed down the stairs where a middle-aged gate manager was so rude and shouted something or other. He seemed stressed boarding a flight to Khartoum, but his anguish was in way comparable to us, as there were three other passengers going to the same destination.

Waiting Waiting Waiting 

In the end, the obvious, the flight has departed. If not for the inefficient saudia personnel, except some with genuine desire to help but without the necessary skills, we could have easily caught the flight 

I thought now that we are doomed to stay in Jeddah for an unexpected day, we would be offered a hotel and stipend for food but that was not to be. 

If you have longer than 8 hours layover at Doha airport, you are taken to a hotel and given meal vouchers and I have enjoyed this complimentary privilege more than once 

After some more waiting, a young man appears with a boarding pass in his hand (for the flight leaving in 23 hours) and said I am welcome to stay in their new lounge. It is nice to visit a Lounge but to spend one day? I have spent a comfortable 7-hour layover at Al Mourjan at Doha where I was provided with a private bed for 6 hours and I could rest, have a shower and leave for my destination.

If I wish, I can leave the airport and go into town, a visa fee of 128 dollars would be charged and can expect no help from Saudia.

There ends part 1 of my misadventure with Saudia.



ANOTHER BRIGHTSPOT. THE NEW LOUNGE ALFURSAN IS VERY GOOD. The Filipino crew seem a little sullen. WiFi slow, where are the South Asians ?

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...