lundi 2 novembre 2020

NOVEMBER 2, 2020 DIA DE LOS MUERTOS. TOUSSAINT EN FRANCE. REMEMBERING DEAR DEPARTED ONES IN CUBA BRASIL

From the BBC:


Three ideas for how to live a fuller life

By Roman Krznaric

28th October 2020


By reimagining our relationship with time – and coming to terms with death – we can improve our existence, argues Roman Krznaric.

“The word death is not pronounced in New York, in Paris, in London, because it burns the lips,” wrote the Mexican essayist and poet Octavio Paz in the 1950s. But for his fellow countryman – who talks about it and celebrates it in the annual Day of the Dead festival – “it is one of his favourite toys and his most steadfast love”.


This was probably an exaggeration, even back then, but it raises the question of the role that death plays in the art of living. Western culture has developed multiple mechanisms for shielding us from the reality of our mortality. The advertising industry tells us that we will remain forever young, we avoid speaking about death with our children, and we shunt the elderly away in care homes out of sight and out of mind.


TODAY IS NOVEMBER 2, 2020 THE DAY OF THE DEAD IN MEXICO

IT IS ALSO REMEMBERED IN VARIOUS FORMS IN OTHER COUNTRIES

DIA DE LOS FIELES DEFUNTOS IN CUBA, DIA DE FINADOS IN BRASIL..




When I was reading Medicine in London, I  was a dedicated THEATRE attendee and more than once I saw Albert Finney on stage. I may remember remember the name of the theatre: Little Orpheum ? So when someone suggested that I look for Under the Volcano (written by Malcolm Lowry), I watched the movie and it had a great impact on me and introduced me to the day of the Dead celebrated so vigorously in Mexico.


One sentence from the movie, Finney delivering it in his pukkah british accent 

no puedo vivir sin amor ..




There is a fear of death in the western societies where as all native and eastern philosophies have a hallowed place for death in their world view.

A western doctor threatened a native american: if you do not look after yourself, you would die.. this kind of threatening might work for white americans (and or others) but it does not work with Indians.  and the patient eagerly answered, much to the consternation of the doctor:  How early can I go, doctor ?


Todays message is ENJOY TODAY and much of it is under your control but tomorrow is not under your control . Be grateful Be humble and Do something for another person today.. 


American Indians talk of a connection of seven generations. If you are a good person, the effects would be felt for seven generations.. and you are the beneficiary of your ancestors of the past 7 generations..


It is the goodness in you that is remembered. Children are great philosophers, they remember those of whom gave them time and care and tenderness ..not the ones who gave them expensive toys..


Today is a good day to remember and also to imagine how your children or descendants would be like in 2050 or even later.. As Kahlil Gibran had said : they live in a world of tomorrow that you cannot enter..  

You came from a world that you couldn't enter whether it was 

18th Century Spain or Portugal and you are going towards a world that we cannot define .. be humble and accept ..


on this day, how can we not think of FRIDA .. and her giant of a husband, the muralist Diego Rivera..

Mexico gave me those gifts. Chile gave me Pablo Neruda. Cuba gave me Fidel Castro and Che Guevara (via Rosario, Argentina), Cesaria Evora from Cabo Verde, Alvaro Mutis and Gabo from Colombia, Jorge Amado from Brasil, also Moacyr Scliar, Alberto Moravia and Agnar Mykael from Norway (Lasso around the moon) from my childhood..

On this day of the dead, I remember them all, I pay respects to them and I want to let them know that they are alive in my heart..

As a colombian writer had said: you are not dear until all the people who remember you have also died..


Jorge Luis Borges. Argentina 

Many of the singers but their songs are fresh in my heart 

and the lyrics do not die, they kindle a little light in your emotions (thus the emotions may find their way to.. Bauru?) today..


I dedicate this to the people in my world and two special people in my world of Magic


The panama hat clad traveller, Carlos 

La petite poete de cote sauvage ..







featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...