mardi 10 octobre 2017

GRATITUDE, HUMILITY AND SACRIFICE FROM OMAHA COUNTRY TO SOUTH AMERICA

I am grateful for the kindness shown to me by the Omaha Tribe of Nebraska; especially Ashleen BB, Wehnona S, Lorna S, Taylor H among the many others.
Lately I have had a chance to show my appreciation of the tribe, by promoting in Northern Minnesota and Marquette, Michigan the Omaha Model of Diabetes Care, which I think would be THE model to follow in the Indian Country.

 The Moon slowly rising over a silent landscape in Northern Minnesota, near Brainerd.
When I woke up at Craiguns Inn by the lake, this is what was waiting for me 



The many good friends that I made during my jaunt brought the lesson in Humility, yet another Omaha Indian characteristic, to me. Mindy, Joe, Sara M, Troy, Rich, Dr. G and then again the wonderful Providers at the Cass Lake, Mille Lacs and Fon du Lac bands of Ojibway. It was a pleasure for me to see my new brother Arne of the Ojibway. I was given hand collected wild rice and also the Ojibway tobacco, both of which I will put to good use. Was also given a handmade bag from Duluth, Minnesota.
When goodness is shown to me, I would like to return it hundredfold to people who know, and complete strangers to me.
Those of us who are familiar with the Indians have become richer in life’s context by observing the fundamental qualities of Indian perception of the world: Humility, Gratitude, Sacrifice, and Mindfulness.

I left feeling well, with my head in the Clouds, (the Traditional Kickapoo of Mexico call me Ke Se Kui Te Pa, or Head in the Clouds) and headed towards the Amazon, via Miami and Lima.
My first day in Iquitos, the largest city that cannot be reached by road in the world, was all that I wanted. I reacquainted myself with the architectural sumptuousness of the Rubber Boom Days, visited the Iron House built by none other than Gustav Eiffel of the Eiffel tower frame, took in the air of the vast Amazon River, went in search of the history of Moroccan Jews who had come here during the Rubber Boom, ate at a Chifa which is the Peruvian version of a Chinese restaurant famous for its Fried Rice and Chicken. I spoke to many local people, but not to a single foreigner or a tourist. I am not on a holiday but to enhance my anthropological ability to observe life as it goes on in another part of the world, far removed from our everyday life.

-->
I will highlight some anecdotes of the day here in the Amazonian Outpost.
The common form of public transport is MotoKar, wich is a motorcycle usually a Honda attached to a rear two seater, which splutters along. I wanted to go to the Museum and the receptionist at the Palau Amazonas Hotel where I am staying hailed a MotoKar and we began our journey. Once the driver found out my Cuban conncetion, he insisted that we go and look for some Cuban friends he has, we ended up in a Barber Shop in another suburb, met the Cuban barber, I may get my hair cut by him tomorrow and then went to the Amazon where the Nanay River meets it. I loved his enthusiasm for life and great hope he has for his life ahead of him. He was from Barranquilla in Colombia and he hopes to get to Ecuador and from there to Spain.
(Erstwhile home of Mr Cohen who might have arrived in the late 1890s to IQUITOS, Now a supermarket and a cafe)
When I enquired about a restaurant where Peruvians eat and not those frequented by tourists (with its high prices), she offered to come with me to the restaurant tomorrow evening!
People in general are friendly and talking and getting their life story is what I do best on my travels.
 It was good to see a patriotic march to celebrate the end of the War of the Pacific, one of the many internal wars in Peru
Gustave Eiffel of Eiffel Tower fame said to have built three houses here in Iquitos, this one called House of Iron is easily to find.

Women tend to be on the plus size in this outpost and one can easily see why if you are to go to outdoor areas where plenty of food is being sold. Fried in the same oil, these rings, I think they are called Sancoche, are offered for a fraction of a dollar for a small plate (2 Soles).















featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...