mercredi 24 octobre 2012

PRAYERS FOR SISTER JACKIE AND MAMMIG: THANK YOU TO DR WANG AND IGR, VILLEJUIF


Praying for Sister Jackie and Mammig and offering gratitude to Dr Wang, Miami and IGR at Villejuif, Paris
The outside temperature is 0 C (32 F). Yesterday had been a wonderfully sunny and pleasant day in the Plains, with blue skies. Light rain began falling in the evening and with it brought the cold.
We arrived at the start of the walk for Breast Cancer at this village of Lakota Indians at the designated time. Indians do not follow clock time but when every one is ready, is the right time.
Children from Head Start were trooping in, their heads covered with colourful apparels and each holding hands of a friend, and teachers guiding them.
The adults were ready, no one was prepared for this weather, so one could see people improvising material to protect their heads and hands from freezing.
I said to myself, yes it is cold, but it is nothing compared to the suffering of women who has to go through chemotherapy for their breast cancer.
A Police Car rode in front, with the leaders of the march carrying a banner.. Fight Like A Girl…
Behind it was a van and from it blared the drumbeats of the songs of the Indians. The Little ones trooped behind and all of us mixed with each other and began walking towards the end of the main road, to the Tribal Head Quarters.

I felt good participating in this walk along with the Indians whom I had come to see. I said to myself: the Indians of North America has really made a better person out of me; it is truly a privilege to know them and be accepted by them. Come with a clean heart and no agenda, Indians would accept you and you assist them in any way you can, but not direct them to be something they don't want to be. They are not brown skinned Americans, but Lakota, Omaha, Winnebago, Meskwakia, Kickapoo, Seminole, and Alabama-Coushatta…
When we reached the end of the walk, we all huddled together and waited for an elder who has survived breast cancer.
She began talking in the ancient Lakota Language and then she would switch and speak a little bit in English.
We are at spiritual war, she intoned, and we have to pray hard, because prayer is our tool, our weapon against misfortune.
I pray for all the people, those who have crossed over and the young ones in front of us.
I have made this song for them and I will sing and pray for you, she continued..
She cleared her throat several times and in a high pitched tone, began singing in Lakota, almost in a pleading voice to the Great Spirit. Every one including the little ones were silent, heads bowed.

It was a special moment for me. I am with the Indians, a people I have always respected and loved and who have accepted me into their midst. In various parts of this land they call the Turtle Island..
I am fortunate to have the love of my families in Miami, France and my dearest friends in Cuba…
It was also a significant day for me, because
Api Pes Ko nea, or White Flower in the Kickapoo language was completing her third year of life. May all this love be a blessing upon her..

featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...