dimanche 26 octobre 2014

SUPERMODERNITY AND TRADITION IN ONE DAY : MIAMI TO THE INDIAN RESERVATION IN ONE DAY

SUPERMODERNITY AND TRADITION IN ONE DAY
MIAMI TO THE OMAHA INDIAN RESERVATION.
Hey, Doc, said my Omaha Indian teacher, I don't know where Belgium is, but it does not matter, I will never go over there.
Even more importantly, he has no desire to go to Belgium.
Then he asks, are you free this Wednesday night?
Yes, when you are in the Reservation, while Indians lead busy lives, I have solitary evenings and time to reflect on my days with them.
Come and join us at the Inipi Ceremony, he invited.
His world is contained in the rhythm set by his ancestors. The invaders who came just 300 years ago to his territory are seen apart from himself and his people.
We touch their world when we have to, exist there for the time it takes to deal with them, but we live in our own world, he had told me once.
For them, the cell phone and the Internet has not become the dominant factor in their lives, they still visit each other and talk.
In my first year of work with the Indian, I remember visiting an older Meskwaki Indian, Wilson B.
We sat on the porch of his house, for half an hour or so, without saying a word.
And when I stood up to leave, the older Indian said to me,
That was a good visit, come again.
Who is really better off?
The Indian who still keeps their ancient concepts of Time, Friendship, Solitude, Thought and peace or the modern man, in search of all the above, tethered to his iPhone, with greater liberty to travel, with interest to travel but cannot travel, has greater opportunity to learn, to gain knowledge but has not time to do so?

(ATTENDING TO THE PEOPLE IN RAPA NUI)
Boils down to the same things again…
Decrease your desires, from the Buddhist philosophy
I don't know where Belgium is, but it does not matter, I will never go there or

Enhance your desires, as in, Belgium sounds interesting, I want to add that to my Bucket List?
Anthropologists such as Sapir and Whorf (Linguists as well) wrote that there exists a relationship between categories and language structure and the way human beings apprehend the world.
But Structuralism of Claude Levi-Strauss and the theories of Gregory Bateson (Towards an Ecology of he Mind, 1973) had observed that, among the Indigenous people of the world, Levy-Strauss got his start with the Nambikwara in Brasil, in the world view of the Indians, relationships count far more than actual objects.
Like they say, Mitakuye Oyasin, we are all related.
Gregory Bateson was married to Margaret Mead, the well-known American Anthropologist, who did an excellent early anthropological study of the Omaha Indians!
This concept of Relationship is exemplified in the difference in NETWORKING among Indians and Non Indians.
Even among the Non Indians, the value of relationships are shown in this phrase:
Tell me who your friends are, I will tell you who you are.


As always I am amazed at the similarities of all ancient philosophies and even here one can find the similarities.


featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...