mercredi 17 décembre 2014

HAPPY HANUKKAH, A MIRACLE FROM CUBA, MAZELTOV TO OBAMA, CASTRO AND ALAN GROSS

Today, more than ever, I am proud to say, Soy de Cuba, I am from Vedado! in La Havana. The above collage is from my neighbourhood of Vedado in Havana.

a house in Vedado.
Today is the first day of Chanukkah 2015, a festival of Miracles, and a miracle did happen today. I am not the same person that i woke up to hear the historic news, the courageous decision taken by President Barack Obama to normalize relations with Cuba. 
and that Alan Gross, would return home after five years of captivity in Cuba. In the spirit of Chanukkah, he had this to say: The majority of the Cubans have great hearts and I support the President.
In fact, the entire world supports the President in this courageous action, except some clever politicians who have something personal to gain, by hiding behind democracy and human rights (as they do when it comes to Gun Control, for example)
I congratulate President Raul Castro who is trying to negotiate a difficult path, in face of the Globalized economy, the best chance for the Cubans, and at the same time be generous with Cuba's gift to the health of the poor in many countries. As Obama mentioned: Cuba and USA can cooperate when it comes to the World Health, as seen with the Ebola epidemic.


I am happy for the Jewish Community of Cuba.
What does this mean to me, at a personal level. First of all, I would be more than ever closer to my Cuban friends. Whilst i have had no trouble travelling between Cuba and USA ever, now the processes would be even easier.
It is amazing, this world of capitalism. Within hours of Obama's announcement, I heard that Airlines executives are already in conference about flights to Cuba! in 2015, I would imagine, hourly flights to Havana from Miami. I look forward to showing my Cuban friends, the sights of Miami and also the plight of American Indians! And certainly, my good friends from Dept of Psychology, some of whom can be seen below, would help me with my work with the Indians. Now I can invite them to come!

amigas de meu coracao 1
amigas de meu coracao 2
Two Cubans, one A Cross Cultural Endocrinologist and the other in the first year of her studies to become an Endocrinologist. She also happens to be my daughter. She is at the National Institute of Endocrinology INEN in La Habana
Medical Students in Havana 
I will not forget this Chanukkah. Mazeltov to Alan Gross, Barack Obama and Raul Castro.
If you can come to La habana, let us go to this Persian Resto, in Vedado.
I want to remind my brother no 1 in Portland above, and 
Brother no 2, also in Portland, that it has been a full 3 years since we have had a Sabbath meal together!
What about Freedom and its responsibility, mayn mischpochah?
My brother at a famous monument in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
I am very grateful to Papa Francisco for the role he played not only in the release of Alan Gross but also in the normalization process (the negotiation) between the two republics. Whilst it was not reported widely in the US media, both Chile and Canada also helped, as the secret meetings were held in Canada. It is very significant and symbolic that a Catholic Pope helped free a Jewish American from a Communist island on this day of Fiesta de los luces, Chanukkah

So, if you want to find me, 
look for me amidst the elegant buildings with memories
in san cristobal de la habana
in the island which is a moveable feast!
Every minute I am away from La Habana, I miss the tenderness and genuine affections without strings attached
I will wait for you, my dear friends and family. with the winds from the ocean touching gently those elegant buildings with memories
which can teach you the meaning of the word tenderness.
Hasta La Victoria Siempre..
This note arrived from the younger Endocrinologist in la Habana.
ESTOY REALMENTE MUY FELIZ!!! HOY ES UN DÍA HISTÓRICO PARA NOSOTROS LOS CUBANOS, CON LA LLEGADA DE NUESTROS HEROES A LA ISLA TAMBIEN HA LLEGADO UNA LUZ DE ESPERANZA PARA NUESTRO PAÍS. YA ERA HORA DE PONER FIN AL BLOQUEO ECONÓMICO, YA ERA HORA DE PONER FIN A TANTO RENCOR SIN SENTIDO, YA ERA HORA DE BUENAS NUEVAS PARA CUBA. ESTE 2015 SERÁ SIN DUDAS UN AÑO PROMETEDOR!!! FELICIDADES A TODOS LOS QUE COMO YO, HOY SE SIENTEN MÁS QUE EUFÓRICOS POR ESTA NOTICIA, A LOS QUE NOS SENTIMOS ORGULLOSOS DE HABER NACIDO EN ESTA TIERRA Y A LOS QUE SIN NACER EN ELLA SE SIENTEN IGUAL DE CUBANOS. VIVA!!!






featured posts

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD

CUBA IS THE FUTURE FOR LATIN AMERICA AND PERHAPS THE WORLD On my way out of Cuba, from La Habana, on COPA airlines flight to Panama, I w...